Periodic Heteroskedastic RegARFIMA models for daily electricity spot prices
AbstractIn this paper we consider different periodic extensions of regression models with autoregressive fractionally integrated moving average disturbances for the analysis of daily spot prices of electricity. We show that day-of-the-week periodicity and long memory are important determinants for the dynamic modelling of the conditional mean of electricity spot prices. Once an effective description of the conditional mean of spot prices is empirically identified, focus can be directed towards volatility features of the time series. For the older electricity market of Nord Pool in Norway, it is found that a long memory model with periodic coefficients is required to model daily spot prices effectively. Further, strong evidence of conditional heteroskedasticity is found in the mean corrected Nord Pool series. For daily prices at three emerging electricity markets that we consider (APX in The Netherlands, EEX in Germany and Powernext in France) periodicity in the autoregressive coefficients is also stablished, but evidence of long memory is not found and existence of dynamic behaviour in the variance of the spot prices is less pronounced. The novel findings in this paper can have important consequences for the modelling and forecasting of mean and variance functions of spot prices for electricity and associated contingent assets
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings with number 158.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
GARCH; Long Memory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Byström, Hans, 2001.
"Extreme Value Theory and Extremely Large Electricity Price Changes,"
2001:19, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans N. E., 2005. "Extreme value theory and extremely large electricity price changes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 41-55.
- Jong, C.M. de & Huisman, R., 2002. "Option Formulas for Mean-Reverting Power Prices with Spikes," Research Paper ERS-2002-96-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Ooms, Marius & Franses, Philip Hans, 1997. "On Periodic Correlations between Estimated Seasonal and Nonseasonal Components in German and U.S. Unemployment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(4), pages 470-81, October.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1996. "Periodicity and Stochastic Trends in Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774549, July.
- Oberhofer, W & Kmenta, J, 1974. "A General Procedure for Obtaining Maximum Likelihood Estimates in Generalized Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 579-90, May.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Yajima, Yoshihiro, 2002.
"Determination of cointegrating rank in fractional systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 217-241, February.
- Peter M Robinson & Yoshihiro Yajima, 2001. "Determination of Cointegrating Rank in Fractional Systems," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2001/423, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Ooms, M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 1998. "A seasonal periodic long memory model for monthly river flows," Econometric Institute Report EI 9842, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Bell, William R & Hillmer, Steven C, 1984. "Issues Involved with the Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 291-320, October.
- Carlin, J. B. & Dempster, A. P. & Jonas, A. B., 1985. "On models and methods for Bayesian time series analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 67-90.
- Wilkinson, Louise & Winsen, Joseph, 2002. "What We Can Learn from a Statistical Analysis of Electricity Prices in New South Wales," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 60-69, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- Doornik, Jurgen A. & Ooms, Marius, 2003.
"Computational aspects of maximum likelihood estimation of autoregressive fractionally integrated moving average models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 333-348, March.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Marius Ooms, 2001. "Computational Aspects of Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Autoregressive Fractionally Integrated Moving Average Models," Economics Papers 2001-W27, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521562607.
- Alvaro Escribano & J. Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2011.
"Modelling Electricity Prices: International Evidence,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(5), pages 622-650, October.
- Alvaro Escribano & Juan Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2002. "Modeling Electricity Prices: International Evidence," Economics Working Papers we022708, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Hans Andeweg, André Dorsman, Kees van Montfort, 2009. "Electricity Traffic over the Barriers of Networks: The Case of Germany and The Netherlands," Frontiers in Finance and Economics, SKEMA Business School, vol. 6(2), pages 120-139, October.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten O. Nielsen, 2004.
"A Regime Switching Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-2, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006. "A regime switching long memory model for electricity prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 349-376.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Juliusz Pres' & Hipolit Torro, 2010.
"Model Based Monte Carlo Pricing of Energy and Temperature Quanto Options,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0123, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Preś, Juliusz & Torro, Hipolit, 2012. "Model based Monte Carlo pricing of energy and temperature Quanto options," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1700-1712.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Pres, Juliusz & Torro, Hipolit, 2010. "Model based Monte Carlo pricing of energy and temperature quanto options," MPRA Paper 25538, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Taylor, James W. & de Menezes, Lilian M. & McSharry, Patrick E., 2006. "A comparison of univariate methods for forecasting electricity demand up to a day ahead," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-16.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten Ã˜. Nielsen, 2006.
"Directional Congestion and Regime Switching in a Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1.
- Haldrup; Niels & Morten Oerregaard Nielsen, 2005. "Directional Congestion and Regime Switching in a Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices," Economics Working Papers 2005-18, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Karakatsani, Nektaria V. & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Forecasting electricity prices: The impact of fundamentals and time-varying coefficients," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 764-785.
- Hipòlit Torró, 2007. "Forecasting Weekly Electricity Prices at Nord Pool," Working Papers 2007.88, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kosater, Peter, 2006. "On the impact of weather on German hourly power prices," Discussion Papers in Statistics and Econometrics 1/06, University of Cologne, Department for Economic and Social Statistics.
- Kosater, Peter & Mosler, Karl, 2006.
"Can Markov regime-switching models improve power-price forecasts? Evidence from German daily power prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(9), pages 943-958, September.
- Kosater, Peter & Mosler, Karl, 2005. "Can Markov-regime switching models improve power price forecasts? Evidence for German daily power prices," Discussion Papers in Statistics and Econometrics 1/05, University of Cologne, Department for Economic and Social Statistics.
- Karakatsani, Nektaria V. & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Intra-day and regime-switching dynamics in electricity price formation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1776-1797, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.