On the impact of weather on German hourly power prices
AbstractThe liberalization of electricity markets has triggered research in econometric modelling and forecasting of electricity spot prices. Moreover, both the demand and the supply of electricity are subject to weather conditions. Therefore, we examine the relation between hourly electricity spot prices from the European Energy Exchange and weather, represented by temperature and wind velocity. Furthermore, we assess whether the relation can be successfully exploited for forecasting. Thereby, we proceed in the framework of Markov regime-switching models which have become a workhorse in econometric modelling of electricity spot prices. As a result, we detect a strong relationship, on one hand. On the other hand, the significance of this relation for forecasting is confined to certain hours. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cologne, Department for Economic and Social Statistics in its series Discussion Papers in Statistics and Econometrics with number 1/06.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Albertus Magnus Platz, 50923 Köln
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://www.wisostat.uni-koeln.de/Englisch/index_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Electricity spot prices; Weather; Markov regime-switching;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Chang-Jin, 1994.
"Dynamic linear models with Markov-switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 1-22.
- Kosater, Peter & Mosler, Karl, 2006.
"Can Markov regime-switching models improve power-price forecasts? Evidence from German daily power prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(9), pages 943-958, September.
- Kosater, Peter & Mosler, Karl, 2005. "Can Markov-regime switching models improve power price forecasts? Evidence for German daily power prices," Discussion Papers in Statistics and Econometrics 1/05, University of Cologne, Department for Economic and Social Statistics.
- Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Kossmeier, Stephan & Obersteiner, Michael, 2004. "Forecasting electricity spot-prices using linear univariate time-series models," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-106, January.
- Huisman, R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2001.
"Regime Jumps in Electricity Prices,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2001-48-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Alvaro Escribano & J. Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2011.
"Modelling Electricity Prices: International Evidence,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(5), pages 622-650, October.
- Alvaro Escribano & Juan Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2002. "Modeling Electricity Prices: International Evidence," Economics Working Papers we022708, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Rafal Weron & Adam Misiorek, 2005. "Forecasting Spot Electricity Prices With Time Series Models," Econometrics 0504001, EconWPA.
- Marius Ooms & M. Angeles Carnero & Siem Jan Koopman, 2004.
"Periodic Heteroskedastic RegARFIMA models for daily electricity spot prices,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
158, Econometric Society.
- M. Angeles Carnero & Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms, 2003. "Periodic Heteroskedastic RegARFIMA Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-071/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michael Bierbrauer & Stefan Trueck & Rafal Weron, 2005. "Modeling electricity prices with regime switching models," Econometrics 0502005, EconWPA.
- Christian Huurman & Francesco Ravazzolo & Chen Zhou, 2010.
"The power of weather,"
DNB Working Papers
236, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Karakatsani, Nektaria V. & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Forecasting electricity prices: The impact of fundamentals and time-varying coefficients," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 764-785.
- Huisman, Ronald, 2008. "The influence of temperature on spike probability in day-ahead power prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2697-2704, September.
- Karakatsani, Nektaria V. & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Intra-day and regime-switching dynamics in electricity price formation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1776-1797, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.