A quarterly fiscal database for the euro area based on intra-annual fiscal information
AbstractThe analysis of the macroeconomic impact of fiscal policies in the euro area has been traditionally limited by the absence of quarterly fiscal data. To overcome this problem, we provide two new databases in this paper. Firstly, we construct a quarterly database of euro area fiscal variables for the period 1980-2008 for a quite disaggregated set of fiscal variables; secondly, we present a real-time fiscal database for a subset of fiscal variables, composed of biannual vintages of data for the euro area period (2000-2009). All models are multivariate, state space mixed- frequencies models estimated with available national accounts fiscal data (mostly annual) and, more importantly, monthly and quarterly information taken from the cash accounts of the governments. We provide not seasonally- and seasonally-adjusted data. Focusing solely on intra-annual fiscal information for interpolation purposes allows us to capture genuine intra-annual "fiscal" dynamics in the data. Thus, we provide fiscal data that avoid some problems likely to appear in studies using fiscal time series interpolated on the basis of general macroeconomic indicators, namely the well-known decoupling of tax collection from the evolution of standard macroeconomic tax bases (revenue windfalls/shortfalls). JEL Classification: C53, E6, H6.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1132.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Joan Paredes & Diego J. Pedregal & Javier J. Pérez, 2009. "A quarterly fiscal database for the euro area based on intra-annual fiscal information," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0935, Banco de Espa�a.
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-01-10 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2010-01-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-EEC-2010-01-10 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2010-01-10 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bosker, E.M., 2006. "On the aggregation of eurozone data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 260-265, February.
- Dean Croushore & Tom Stark, 2003.
"A Real-Time Data Set for Macroeconomists: Does the Data Vintage Matter?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 605-617, August.
- Dean Croushore & Tom Stark, 1999. "A real-time data set for marcoeconomists: does the data vintage matter?," Working Papers 99-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Croushore, Dean & Evans, Charles L., 2006.
"Data revisions and the identification of monetary policy shocks,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1135-1160, September.
- Dean Croushore & Charles L. Evans, 2000. "Data revisions and the identification of monetary policy shocks," Working Paper Series WP-00-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Dean Croushore & Charles L. Evans, 2003. "Data revisions and the identification of monetary policy shocks," Working Papers 03-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Dean Croushore & Charles L. Evans, 2000. "Data Revisions and the Identification of Monetary Policy Shocks," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0842, Econometric Society.
- Robert Kollmann & Marco Ratto & Werner Roeger & Jan in't Veld, 2012.
"Fiscal Policy, Banks and the Financial Crisis,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
464, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- In''t Veld, Jan & Kollmann, Robert & Ratto, Marco & Roeger, Werner, 2012. "Fiscal Policy, Banks and the Financial Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 9175, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Kollmann & Marco Ratto & Werner Roeger & Jan in'tVeld, 2012. "Fiscal Policy, Banks and the Financial Crisis," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2012-034, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Robert Kollmann & Marco Ratto & Werner Roeger & Jan in't Veld, 2012. "Fiscal policy, banks and the financial crisis," Working Paper Research 234, National Bank of Belgium.
- He, Xiaoli & Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & Kuper, Gerard H. & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2013.
"On the Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on the Euro Area,"
17209, University of Tasmania, School of Economics and Finance, revised 16 Oct 2013.
- Kuper, Gerard & Jacobs, Jan & He, Xiaoli & Ligthart, Jenny, 2013. "On the impact of the global financial crisis on the euro area," Research Report 13011-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Francisco de Castro & Daniel Garrote, 2012. "The effects of fiscal shocks on the exchange rate in the EMU and differences with the US," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1224, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ricardo Silva & Vitor Manuel Carvalho & Ana Paula Ribeiro, 2013. "How large are fiscal multipliers? A panel-data VAR approach for the Euro area," FEP Working Papers 500, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Giovanni Callegari & Giovanni Melina & Nicoletta Batini, 2012. "Successful Austerity in the United States, Europe and Japan," IMF Working Papers 12/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Pablo Burriel & Francisco de Castro & Daniel Garrote & Esther Gordo & Joan Paredes & Javier J. Pérez, 2010.
"Fiscal Policy Shocks in the Euro Area and the US: An Empirical Assessment,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 31(2), pages 251-285, 06.
- Burriel, Pablo & de Castro Fernández, Francisco & Garrote, Daniel & Gordo, Esther & Paredes, Joan & Pérez, Javier J., 2009. "Fiscal policy shocks in the euro area and the US: an empirical assessment," Working Paper Series 1133, European Central Bank.
- Pablo Burriel & Francisco de Castro & Daniel Garrote & Esther Gordo & Joan Paredes & Javier J. Pérez, 2009. "Fiscal policy shocks in the euro area and the US: an empirical assessment," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0930, Banco de Espa�a.
- Coenen, Günter & Straub, Roland & Trabandt, Mathias, 2013.
"Gauging the effects of fiscal stimulus packages in the euro area,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 367-386.
- Gunter Coenen & Roland Straub & Mathias Trabandt, 2012. "Gauging the effects of fiscal stimulus packages in the Euro area," International Finance Discussion Papers 1061, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Coenen, Günter & Straub, Roland & Trabandt, Mathias, 2012. "Gauging the effects of fiscal stimulus packages in the euro area," Working Paper Series 1483, European Central Bank.
- Fabio Canova & Evi Pappa, 2011.
"Fiscal policy, pricing frictions and monetary accommodation,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 26(68), pages 555-598, October.
- Fabio Canova & Evi Pappa, 2011. "Fiscal Policy, Pricing Frictions and Monetary Accommodation," Working Papers 549, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Fabio Canova & Evi Pappa, 2011. "Fiscal policy, pricing frictions and monetary accommodation," Economics Working Papers 1268, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Asimakopoulos, Stylianos & Paredes, Joan & Warmedinger, Thomas, 2013. "Forecasting fiscal time series using mixed frequency data," Working Paper Series 1550, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.