Temporal disaggregation using multivariate structural time series models
AbstractIn this paper, we provide a multivariate framework for temporal disaggregation of time series observed at a given frequency into higher frequency time series. The suggested method uses the seemingly unrelated time series equations model and it is estimated by the Kalman filter. The methodology is flexible enough to allow for almost any kind of temporal disaggregation problems of both raw and seasonally adjusted time series. Comparisons with other temporal disaggregation methods proposed in the literature are presented using a wide OECD data set. Copyright 2005 Royal Economic Society
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cecilia Frale, Serena Teobaldo, Marco Cacciotti, Alessandra Caretta, 2013. "A Quarterly Measure Of Potential Output In The New European Fiscal Framework," RIEDS - Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica - Italian Review of Economics, Demography and Statistics, SIEDS Societa' Italiana di Economia Demografia e Statistica, vol. 0(2), pages 181-197.
- Cecilia Frale, . "Do Surveys Help in Macroeconomic Variables Disaggregation and Estimation?," Working Papers wp2008-2, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- John McDermott & Viv B. Hall, .
"A quarterly Post-World War II Real GDP Series for New Zealand,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2009/12, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Viv Hall & John McDermott, 2007. "A Quarterly Post-World War II Real GDP Series for New Zealand," Working Papers 07_13, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, .
"Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
626, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, 2010. "Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007667, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, 2010.
"Survey data as coincident or leading indicators,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(1-2), pages 109-131.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, . "Survey Data as Coincident or Leading Indicators," Working Papers 3, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, 2009. "Survey Data as Coicident or Leading Indicators," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/19, European University Institute.
- Moauro, Filippo, 2010. "A monthly indicator of employment in the euro area: real time analysis of indirect estimates," MPRA Paper 27797, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Dec 2010.
- Sieds, 2013. "Complete Volume LXVII n.2 2013," RIEDS - Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica - Italian Review of Economics, Demography and Statistics, SIEDS Societa' Italiana di Economia Demografia e Statistica, vol. 0(2), pages 1-197.
- Pedregal, Diego J. & Pérez, Javier J., 2008.
"Should quarterly government finance statistics be used for fiscal surveillane in Europe?,"
Working Paper Series
0937, European Central Bank.
- Pedregal, Diego J. & Pérez, Javier J., 2010. "Should quarterly government finance statistics be used for fiscal surveillance in Europe?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 794-807, October.
- Willie Lahari & Alfred A. Haug & Arlene Garces-Ozanne, 2011.
"Estimating Quarterly Gdp Data For The South Pacific Island Nations,"
The Singapore Economic Review (SER),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 56(01), pages 97-112.
- Willie Lahari & Alfred Haug & Arlene Garces-Ozanne, 2008. "Estimating quarterly GDP Data for the South Pacific Island Nations," Working Papers 0805, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised May 2008.
- Frale, Cecilia & Marcellino, Massimiliano & Mazzi, Gian Luigi & Proietti, Tommaso, 2008.
"A Monthly Indicator of the Euro Area GDP,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7007, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cecilia Frale & Libero Monteforte, .
"FaMIDAS: A Mixed Frequency Factor Model with MIDAS structure,"
3, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Cecilia Frale & Libero Monteforte, 2011. "FaMIDAS: A Mixed Frequency Factor Model with MIDAS structure," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 788, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004.
"Temporal Disaggregation by State Space Methods: Dynamic Regression Methods Revisited,"
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "Temporal disaggregation by state space methods: Dynamic regression methods revisited," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(3), pages 357-372, November.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 2008. "Estimation of Common Factors under Cross-Sectional and Temporal Aggregation Constraints: Nowcasting Monthly GDP and its Main Components," MPRA Paper 6860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yueqing Jia, 2011. "A New Look at China’s Output Fluctuations: Quarterly GDP Estimation with an Unobserved Components Approach," Working Papers 2011-006, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting.
- Teresa Leal & Diego Pedregal & Javier Pérez, 2011. "Short-term monitoring of the Spanish government balance," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 97-119, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.