Decision Making and Trade without Probabilities
AbstractWhat is a rational decision-maker supposed to do when facing an unfamiliar problem, where there is uncertainty but no basis for making probabilistic assessments? One answer is to use a form of expected utility theory, and assume that agents assign their own subjective probabilities to each element of the (presumably known) state space. In contrast, this paper presents a model in which agents do not form subjective probabilities over the elements of the state space, but nonetheless use new information to update their beliefs about what the elements of the state space are. This model is shown to lead to different predictions about trading behavior in a simple asset market under uncertainty. A controlled laboratory experiment tests the predictions of this model against those of expected utility theory and against the hypothesis that subjects act naÂ¨ıvely and non-strategically. The results suggest that a lack of subjective probabilities does not imply irrational or unpredictable behavior, but instead allows individuals to use both what they know and knowledge of what they do not know in their decision making. Comment un dÃ©cideur rationnel est-il censÃ© rÃ©agir face Ã un problÃ¨me qui ne lui est pas familier lorsquâil existe une certaine incertitude, et en lâabsence dâune base sur laquelle effectuer des estimations probabilistes? Une solution consiste Ã utiliser une forme de la thÃ©orie de lâutilitÃ© espÃ©rÃ©e et de prÃ©sumer que les agents attribuent leurs propres probabilitÃ©s subjectives Ã chaque Ã©lÃ©ment de la reprÃ©sentation dâÃ©tat (sans doute connue). Par contraste, notre article prÃ©sente un modÃ¨le oÃ¹ les agents ne forment pas de probabilitÃ©s subjectives sur les Ã©lÃ©ments de la reprÃ©sentation dâÃ©tat, mais utilisent de nouveaux renseignements afin de mettre Ã jour leurs croyances sur les Ã©lÃ©ments formant la reprÃ©sentation dâÃ©tat. Le comportement des Ã©changes avec ce modÃ¨le dans un marchÃ© dâactifs simple et incertain nous mÃ¨ne Ã des prÃ©dictions diffÃ©rentes. En utilisant une expÃ©rience contrÃ´lÃ©e en laboratoire, nous avons vÃ©rifiÃ© les prÃ©dictions de ce modÃ¨le contre celles de la thÃ©orie de lâutilitÃ© espÃ©rÃ©e et contre lâhypothÃ¨se que les sujets agissent avec naÃ¯vetÃ© et sans recourir Ã une stratÃ©gie. Les rÃ©sultats suggÃ¨rent quâun manque de probabilitÃ©s subjectives nâimplique pas un comportement irrationnel ou imprÃ©visible, mais permet plutÃ´t aux individus dâutiliser autant lâinformation quâils possÃ¨dent que la connaissance de lâinformation quâils ne possÃ¨dent pas dans leur prise de dÃ©cision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRANO in its series CIRANO Working Papers with number 2007s-21.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2020 rue University, 25e étage, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2A5
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Uncertainty; non-expected utility; incomplete preferences; ambiguity.; Incertitude; utilité non espérée; préférences incomplètes; ambiguïté.;
Other versions of this item:
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2007-10-20 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EXP-2007-10-20 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-UPT-2007-10-20 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Quiggin, 2007. "Ambiguity and the Value of Information: An Almost-objective Events Analysis," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 409-414, March.
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001.
"Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt6m42r5rr, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Luca Rigotti & Chris Shannon=20, 2002. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Game Theory and Information 0201001, EconWPA.
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7pp7113z, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Han Ozsoylev & Jan Werner, 2011. "Liquidity and asset prices in rational expectations equilibrium with ambiguous information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 469-491, October.
- Jack Stecher & Timothy Shields & John Dickhaut (deceased), 2011.
"Generating Ambiguity in the Laboratory,"
INFORMS, vol. 57(4), pages 705-712, April.
- David Easley & Aldo Rustichini, 1999. "Choice without Beliefs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1157-1184, September.
- Harsanyi, John C, 1995.
"Games with Incomplete Information,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 291-303, June.
- Morris, Stephen, 1996. "The Logic of Belief and Belief Change: A Decision Theoretic Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 1-23, April.
- David Ahn & Syngjoo Choi & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2008. "Estimating Ambiguity Aversion in a Portfolio Choice Experiment," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000001989, David K. Levine.
- Luciano De Castro & Marialaura Pesce & Nicolas Yannelis, 2011.
"Core and Equilibria under ambiguity,"
1534, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jayant V Ganguli & Scott Condie, 2008.
"Ambiguity and rational expectations equilibria,"
2008 Meeting Papers
719, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bryan R. Routledge & Stanley E. Zin, 2001.
"Model Uncertainty and Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
8683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bryan R. Routledge & Stanley E. Zin, 2000. "Model Uncertainty and Liquidity," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1617, Econometric Society.
- Bryan Routledge & Stanley Zin, . "Model Uncertainty and Liquidity," GSIA Working Papers 2001-E17, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Bryan R. Routledge, Stanley E. Zin, 2000. "Model Uncertainity And Liquidity," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 368, Society for Computational Economics.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Glenn W. Harrison & John A. List, 2007.
"Naturally Occurring Markets and Exogenous Laboratory Experiments: A Case Study of the Winner's Curse,"
NBER Working Papers
13072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- GlennW. Harrison & JohnA. List, 2008. "Naturally Occurring Markets and Exogenous Laboratory Experiments: A Case Study of the Winner's Curse," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 822-843, 04.
- Glenn Harrison & John List, 2008. "Naturally occurring markets and exogenous laboratory experiments: A case study of the winner's curse," Framed Field Experiments 00266, The Field Experiments Website.
- Chen, Kay-Yut & Plott, Charles R., 1998. "Nonlinear Behavior in Sealed Bid First Price Auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 34-78, October.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
- Eddie Dekel & Barton L. Lipman & Aldo Rustichini, 1998. "Standard State-Space Models Preclude Unawareness," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 159-174, January.
- Marialaura Pesce & Peter Cramton & Nicholas C. Yannelis, 2010.
"A new perspective to rational expectations: maximin rational expectations equilibrium,"
1528, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Luciano De Castro & Marialaura Pesce & Nicholas C. Yannelis, 2011. "A new perspective to rational expectations: maximin rational expectations equilibrium," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1107, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Shin Hyun Song, 1993. "Logical Structure of Common Knowledge," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 1-13, June.
- Larry Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2005.
"Ambiguity, Information Quality and Asset Pricing,"
RCER Working Papers
519, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Mark Machina, 2004. "Almost-objective uncertainty," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 1-54, 07.
- Scott Condie & Jayant Ganguli, 2011. "Informational efficiency with ambiguous information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 229-242, October.
- repec:feb:framed:0030 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alain Chateauneuf & Luciano I. de Castro, 2011.
"Ambiguity Aversion and Trade,"
1526, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Luciano De Castro, 2011. "Ambiguity Aversion and Absence of Trade," Discussion Papers 1535, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lombardi, Michele & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2011.
"A Full Characterization of Nash Implementation with Strategy Space Reduction,"
Discussion Paper Series
a548, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Michele Lombardi & Naoki Yoshihara, 2013. "A full characterization of nash implementation with strategy space reduction," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 131-151, September.
- Lombardi Michele & Yoshihara Naoki, 2010. "A Full Characterization of Nash Implementation with Strategy Space Reduction," Research Memorandum 023, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Todd R. Kaplan & Shmuel Zamir, 2014.
"Advances in Auctions,"
1405, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Tomoki Fujii, 2012.
"Dynamic Poverty Decomposition Analysis: An Application to the Philippines,"
34-2012, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Fujii, Tomoki, 2014. "Dynamic Poverty Decomposition Analysis: An Application to the Philippines," ADBI Working Papers 466, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Brishti Guha, 2012. "Gambling on Genes: Ambiguity Aversion Explains Investment in Sisters’ Children," Working Papers 33-2012, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Adam Dominiak & Jean-Philippe Lefort, 2013. "Agreement theorem for neo-additive beliefs," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Robert Nau, 2011. "Risk, ambiguity, and state-preference theory," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 437-467, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.