Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets
AbstractThis paper considers a general equilibrium model in which the=20 distinction between un-certainty and risk is formalized by assuming agents= =20 have incomplete preferences over state-contingent consumption bundles, as=20 in Bewley (1986). Without completeness, individual decision making depends= =20 on a set of probability distributions over the state space. A bundle is=20 preferred to another if and only if it has larger expected utility for all= =20 probabilities in this set. When preferences are complete this set is a=20 singleton, and the model reduces to standard expected utility. In this=20 setting, we characterize Pareto optima and equilibria, and show that the=20 presence of uncertainty generates robust indeterminacies in equilibrium=20 prices and allocations for any speci=AFcation of initial endowments. We=20 derive comparative statics results linking the degree of uncertainty with=20 changes in equilibria. Despite the presence of robust indeterminacies, we=20 show that equilibrium prices and allocations vary continuously with=20 underlying fundamentals. Equilibria in a standard risk economy are thus=20 robust to adding small degrees of uncertainty. Finally, we give conditions= =20 under which some assets are not traded due to uncertainty aversion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Game Theory and Information with number 0201001.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: 04 Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Note: 52 pages, Acrobat .pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Other versions of this item:
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7pp7113z, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6m42r5rr, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- D0 - Microeconomics - - General
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-01-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2002-01-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MFD-2002-01-22 (Microfinance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.