Choice without Beliefs
AbstractThis paper provides an axiomatic foundation for decision making in complex settings in which the decision maker does not have complete structural knowledge of the environment. The agent knows the set of actions he can take, he formulates preferences directly on the actions, and chooses according to these preferences. On the basis of experience he modifies these preferences according to a systematic procedure. A group of natural structural restrictions and a group of independence axioms are imposed on this procedure. The main result is an axiomatic foundation for a set of simple adaptive learning procedures which include the replicator dynamic.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 67 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dana Heller, 2000. "Parametric Adaptive Learning," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1496, Econometric Society.
- Oyarzun, Carlos & Sarin, Rajiv, 2013. "Learning and risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 196-225.
- Kawamura, Enrique, 2005.
"Competitive equilibrium with unawareness in economies with production,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 167-191, April.
- Enrique L. Kawamura, 2002. "Competitive Equilibrium with Unawareness in Economies with Production," Working Papers 45, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Apr 2002.
- Tilman Borgers & Antonio Morales & Rajiv Sarin, 2010.
"Expedient and Monotone Learning Rules,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
625018000000000099, David K. Levine.
- Tilman Börgers & Rajiv Sarin & Antonio J. Morales, 2001. "Expedient and Monotone Learning Rules," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/06, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Carlos Oyarzun & Rajiv Sarin, 2012. "Learning and Risk Aversion," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000572, David K. Levine.
- Albert Marcet & Juan P. Nicolini, 2003.
"Recurrent Hyperinflations and Learning,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1476-1498, December.
- Marcet, A. & Nicolini, J.P., 1997. "Recurrent Hyperinflations and Learning," Papers 9721, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Albert Marcet & Juan P. Nicolini, 1995. "Recurrent hyperinflations and learning," Economics Working Papers 244, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Nov 2001.
- Marcet, Albert & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 1998. "Recurrent Hyperinflations and Learning," CEPR Discussion Papers 1875, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl H. Schlag, 1995.
"Why Imitate, and if so, How? A Bounded Rational Approach to Multi-Armed Bandits,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
361, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Mar 1996.
- Schlag, Karl H., 1998. "Why Imitate, and If So, How?, : A Boundedly Rational Approach to Multi-armed Bandits," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 130-156, January.
- Karl H. Schlag, . "Why Imitate, and if so, How? A Bounded Rational Approach to Multi- Armed Bandits," ELSE working papers 028, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Weibull, Jörgen W., 1997. "What have we learned from Evolutionary Game Theory so far?," Working Paper Series 487, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 26 Oct 1998.
- Jack Stecher & Radhika Lunawat & Kira Pronin & John Dickhaut, 2007.
"Decision Making and Trade without Probabilities,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Harald Uhlig & Martin Lettau, 1999. "Rules of Thumb versus Dynamic Programming," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 148-174, March.
- Kirman, Alan P. & Vriend, Nicolaas J., 2001. "Evolving market structure: An ACE model of price dispersion and loyalty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 459-502, March.
- Easley, David & Rustichini, Aldo, 2005. "Optimal guessing: Choice in complex environments," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 1-21, September.
- Eichberger, Jürgen & Guerdjikova, Ani, 2008. "Case-Based Expected Utility: Preferences over Actions and Data," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 08-32, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.