A Smooth Transition Long-Memory Model
AbstractThis paper proposes a new fractional model with a time-varying long-memory parameter. The latter evolves nonlinearly according to a transition variable through a logistic function. We present a LR-based test that allows to discriminate between the standard fractional model and our model. We further apply the nonlinear least squares method to estimate the long memory parameter. We present an application to the unemployment rate in the United-States from 1948 to 2012.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France in its series AMSE Working Papers with number 1240.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision: Dec 2012
Long-memory; nonlinearity; time varying parameter; logistic.;
Other versions of this item:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-01-07 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-01-07 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mohamed Boutahar & Gilles Dufrénot & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2008. "A SIMPLE FRACTIONALLY INTEGRATED MODEL WITH A TIME-VARYING LONG MEMORY PARAMETER Dt," Working Papers halshs-00275254, HAL.
- Blanchard, Olivier J. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987.
"Hysteresis in unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 288-295.
- Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & Per Frederiksen, 2005.
"Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration,"
1189, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Morten �rregaard Nielsen & Per Houmann Frederiksen, 2005. "Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 405-443.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- Di Tella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert, 2006. "Europe vs America: Institutional hysteresis in a simple normative model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(12), pages 2161-2186, December.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997.
"The Time-Varying NAIRU and Its Implications for Economic Policy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 11-32, Winter.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1996. "The Time-varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 1492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997. "The Time-Varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," NBER Working Papers 5735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Gilles Dufrenot & Dominique Guegan & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2008.
"Changing-regime volatility: a fractionally integrated SETAR model,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(7), pages 519-526.
- Anne Peguin-Feissolle & Gilles Dufrénot & Dominique Guegan, 2006. "Changing-regime volatility : A fractionally integrated SETAR model," Working Papers halshs-00410540, HAL.
- Gilles Dufrenot & Dominique Guegan & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2008. "Changing-regime volatility: A fractionally integrated SETAR model," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00185369, HAL.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Perron, P., 1986.
"Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: Further Evidence From a New Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
8650, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, Pierre, 1988. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series : Further evidence from a new approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 297-332.
- Amine LAHIANI & Olivier SCAILLET, .
"Testing for threshold effect in ARFIMA models: Application to US unemployment rate data,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
08-42, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Lahiani, A. & Scaillet, O., 2009. "Testing for threshold effect in ARFIMA models: Application to US unemployment rate data," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 418-428.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006.
"A regime switching long memory model for electricity prices,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 349-376.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten O. Nielsen, 2004. "A Regime Switching Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices," Economics Working Papers 2004-2, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Ka Ming Cheng & Nazif Durmaz & Hyeongwoo Kim & Michael Stern, 2011.
"Hysteresis vs. Natural Rate of US Unemployment,"
Auburn Economics Working Paper Series
auwp2011-01, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose & Alvarez, Jesus & Solis, Ricardo, 2010. "Crude oil market efficiency and modeling: Insights from the multiscaling autocorrelation pattern," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 993-1000, September.
- Engelen, Steve & Norouzzadeh, Payam & Dullaert, Wout & Rahmani, Bahareh, 2011. "Multifractal features of spot rates in the Liquid Petroleum Gas shipping market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 88-98, January.
- Leon-Ledesma, Miguel A, 2002. "Unemployment Hysteresis in the US States and the EU: A Panel Approach," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 95-103, April.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1997. "Estimation of stochastic volatility models with diagnostics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 159-192, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.