Modelling squared returns using a SETAR model with long-memory dynamics
AbstractThis paper presents a 2-regime SETAR model for the volatility with a long-memory process in the first regime and a short-memory process in the second regime. Persistence properties are studied and estimation methods are proposed. Such a process is applied to stock indices and individual asset prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 86 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Gilles Dufrénot & Dominique Guegan & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2005. "Modelling squared returns using a SETAR model with long-memory dynamics," Post-Print halshs-00179285, HAL.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sassan Alizadeh & Michael W. Brandt & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Range-Based Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1047-1091, 06.
- Schwert, G.W., 1989.
"Stock Volatility And The Crash Of '87,"
89-01, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cao, C Q & Tsay, R S, 1992. "Nonlinear Time-Series Analysis of Stock Volatilities," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S165-85, Suppl. De.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & David I. Laibson, 1989. "Economic Implications of Extraordinary Movements in Stock Prices," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(2), pages 137-190.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsu, Chien-Te & Tauchen, George, 2000.
"Using Daily Range Data to Calibrate Volatility Diffusions and Extract the Forward Integrated Variance,"
00-04, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- A. Ronald Gallant & Chien-Te Hsu & George Tauchen, 1999. "Using Daily Range Data To Calibrate Volatility Diffusions And Extract The Forward Integrated Variance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 617-631, November.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Paap, Richard, 2002. "A nonlinear long memory model, with an application to US unemployment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 135-165, October.
- Richard Paap & Philip Hans Franses & Marco Van Der Leij, 2002. "Modelling and forecasting level shifts in absolute returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 601-616.
- Dominique Guegan, 2003. "A prospective study of the k-factor Gegenbauer processes with heteroscedastic errors and an application to inflation rates," Post-Print halshs-00201314, HAL.
- Brooks, Chris, 2001. "A Double-Threshold GARCH Model for the French Franc/Deutschmark Exchange Rate," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 135-43, March.
- Dufrenot, Gilles & Guegan, Dominique & Peguin-Feissolle, Anne, 2005.
"Long-memory dynamics in a SETAR model - applications to stock markets,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 391-406, December.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Dominique Guegan & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2005. "Long-memory dynamics in a SETAR model - Applications to stock markets," Post-Print halshs-00179339, HAL.
- Laurent Ferrara & Dominique Guégan, 2005.
"Detection of the Industrial Business Cycle using SETAR Models,"
Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis,
OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2005(3), pages 353-371.
- Ferrara, Laurent & Guégan, Dominique, 2005. "Detection of the industrial business cycle using SETAR models," MPRA Paper 4389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dominique Guegan & Laurent Ferrara, 2005. "Detection of the Industrial Business Cycle using SETAR models," Post-Print halshs-00201309, HAL.
- Heni Boubaker & Nadia Sghaier, 2014. "Wavelet based Estimation of Time- Varying Long Memory Model with Nonlinear Fractional Integration Parameter," Working Papers 2014-284, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Shittu, Olanrewaju I. & Yaya, OlaOluwa S., 2014. "On the persistence and volatility in European, American and Asian stocks bull and bear markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 149-162.
- Mohamed Boutahar & Gilles Dufrénot & Anne Péguin-Feissolle, 2008. "A Simple Fractionally Integrated Model with a Time-varying Long Memory Parameter d t ," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 31(3), pages 225-241, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.