Does Labor Diversity Promote Entrepreneurship?
AbstractWe find evidence that workforce educational diversity promotes entrepreneurial behavior of employees as well as the formation of new firms, whereas diversity in demographics hinders transitions to selfemployment. Ethnic diversity favors entrepreneurship in financial and business services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2012-04.
Date of creation: 04 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Labor diversity; entrepreneurship; transitions to self-employment;
Other versions of this item:
- C26 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Instrumental Variables (IV) Estimation
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-02-08 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2012-02-08 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2012-02-08 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HRM-2012-02-08 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2012-02-08 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2012-02-08 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-SBM-2012-02-08 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2012-02-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Audretsch & Dirk Dohse & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2010.
"Cultural diversity and entrepreneurship: a regional analysis for Germany,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 55-85, August.
- Audretsch, David B & Dohse, Dirk & Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2008. "Cultural Diversity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis for Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 6945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1998.
"Globalization and the Market for Teammates,"
NBER Working Papers
6579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roy Thurik & Enrico Santarelli & David Audretsch & Luuk Klomp, 2002.
"Gibrat's Law: Are the Services Different?,"
Scales Research Reports
H200201, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Audretsch, D.B. & Klomp, L. & Thurik, A.R., 2002. "Gibrat's Law: are the services different?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-04-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Pytlikova, Mariola, 2010.
"The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm´s Innovation,"
10-15, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Dario Pozzoli & Mariola Pytlikova, 2014. "The nexus between labor diversity and firm’s innovation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 303-364, April.
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Dario Pozzoli & Mariola Pytlikova, 2011. "The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm's Innovation," Norface Discussion Paper Series 2011005, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Pytlikova, Mariola, 2012. "The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm's Innovation," IZA Discussion Papers 6972, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Card, 1997.
"Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration,"
NBER Working Papers
5927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David, 2001. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 22-64, January.
- David Card, 1996. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," Working Papers 747, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Mette Deding & Trine Filges & Jos Van Ommeren, 2009. "Spatial Mobility And Commuting: The Case Of Two-Earner Households," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 113-147.
- Hong, Lu & Page, Scott E., 2001. "Problem Solving by Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 123-163, March.
- Kaivan Munshi, 2003. "Networks In The Modern Economy: Mexican Migrants In The U.S. Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(2), pages 549-599, May.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2007. "The Theory of Knowledge Spillover Entrepreneurship," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1242-1254, November.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," Scholarly Articles 4553005, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2004. "Balanced Skills and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 208-211, May.
- Elisabeth Bublitz & Florian Noseleit, 2014. "The skill balancing act: when does broad expertise pay off?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 17-32, January.
- Thomas Kemeny, 2013. "Immigrant Diversity and Economic Development in Cities: A Critical Review," SERC Discussion Papers 0149, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Dirk Dohse & Robert Gold, 2013. "Measuring Cultural Diversity at a Regional Level," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 10, WWWforEurope.
- Nathan, Max, 2013. "The Wider Economic Impacts of High-Skilled Migrants: A Survey of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 7653, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dr Max Nathan, 2013. "The Wider Economic Impacts Of High-Skilled Migrants: A Survey Of The Literature," NIESR Discussion Papers 11607, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Sala, Davide, 2014.
"Ethnic Diversity and Firms' Export Behavior,"
Discussion Papers of Business and Economics
2/2014, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.