Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers
AbstractThe variance of the inflation rate estimator in the stochastic approach of Clements and Izan will be biased in most applications due to stringent restrictions on the variance of the OLS error term. To overcome this weakness, the stochastic methodology is reformulated and extended by deriving a variance estimator which is robust to unknown forms of heteroscedasticity. Under this new approach the exact nature of the error variance is of no concern, and can remain unidentified. A major innovation of this work is the derivation of a scalar representation for the variance estimator which has considerable intuitive appeal since it uses consumer expenditure shares to weight the relative price movements used in the calculation of the inflation rate variances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David E. A. Giles, 2002.
"Calculating a Standard Error for the Gini Coefficient: Some Further Results,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0202, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles, 2004. "Calculating a Standard Error for the Gini Coefficient: Some Further Results," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 425-433, 07.
- Eliyathamby A. Selvanathan & Saroja Selvanathan, 2006. "Measurement of inflation: An alternative approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 403-418, November.
- Selvanathan, E. A. & Selvanathan, S., 2004. "Modelling the commodity prices in the OECD countries: a stochastic approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 233-247, March.
- Iqbal, Javed & Hanif, Muhammad Nadim, 2010. "Measuring Standard Error of Inflation in Pakistan: A Stochastic Approach," MPRA Paper 35422, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zahid, Asghar & Frahat, Tahira, 2010. "Measuring inflation through stochastic approach to index numbers," MPRA Paper 21513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kenneth W. Clements & H.Y Izan & Yihui Lan, 2005. "A Stochastic Measure of International Competitiveness," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 05-15, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.