Measuring Standard Error of Inflation in Pakistan: A Stochastic Approach
AbstractStochastic approach to index number (and its change) has recently attracted renewed attention of researchers as it provides the standard error of index number (and its change). One of the most important uses of index number is in the case of measurement of the general price level in an economy (and then inflation of course). In this study we estimate standard errors of month on month and year on year inflation in Pakistan under stochastic approach, following Clement and Izan (1987). We contribute in this study by providing mechanism and estimating the standard error of period average of YoY inflation and apply this to Pakistan data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35422.
Date of creation: 31 Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-01-03 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MON-2012-01-03 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993.
"The Consumer Price Index as a Measure of Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993. "The consumer price index as a measure of inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 15-24.
- Selvanathan, E. A. & Selvanathan, S., 2004. "Modelling the commodity prices in the OECD countries: a stochastic approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 233-247, March.
- Selvanathan, E A, 1989. "A Note on the Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(4), pages 471-74, October.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Izan, H Y, 1987. "The Measurement of Inflation: A Stochastic Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(3), pages 339-50, July.
- E. A. Selvanathan, 2003. "Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers: a comment on Crompton," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 213-215.
- Paul Crompton, 2000. "Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 367-371.
- Eliyathamby A. Selvanathan & Saroja Selvanathan, 2006. "Measurement of inflation: An alternative approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 403-418, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.