The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last
AbstractVarious versions of the wild bootstrap are studied as applied to regression models with heteroskedastic errors. We develop formal Edgeworth expansions for the error in the rejection probability (ERP) of wild bootstrap tests based on asymptotic t statistics computed with a heteroskedasticity consistent covariance matrix estimator. Particular interest centers on the choice of the auxiliary distribution used by the wild bootstrap in order to generate bootstrap error terms. We find that the Rademacher distribution usually gives smaller ERPs, in small samples, than the version of the wild bootstrap that seems most popular in the literature, even though it does not benefit from the latter's skewness correction. This conclusion, based on Edgeworth expansions, is confirmed by a series of simulation experiments. We conclude that a particular version of the wild bootstrap is to be preferred in almost all practical situations, and we show analytically that it, and no other version, gives perfect inference in a special case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen's University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 1000.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Wild Bootstrap; Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators; Size distortion;
Other versions of this item:
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2000. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1413, Econometric Society.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The wild bootstrap, tamed at last," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6560, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Davidson, R. & Flachaire, E., 1999. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 58, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Econometrics 9602009, EconWPA, revised 05 Mar 1996.
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983.
"Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties,"
537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985. "Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1999.
"The Size Distortion Of Bootstrap Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 361-376, June.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 1999.
"A better way to bootstrap pairs,"
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," Working Papers 903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Chesher, Andrew & Jewitt, Ian, 1987. "The Bias of a Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1217-22, September.
- repec:fth:louvco:9924 is not listed on IDEAS
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.