A Note on the Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers
AbstractIn a recent article, Clements and Izan (1987) used the stochastic approach to index-number theory to estimate the rate of inflation and its standard error. Selvanathan (1988) extended their approach to the prices of groups of goods and to prices within groups. In this note, I apply the within-group results to the U.K. alcohol data. Simulation results show that the estimates are unbiased, but the asymptotic standard errors understate the true sampling variability of the estimates. To overcome this problem, I applied the bootstrap technique to obtain alternate standard errors.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rao, D.S. Prasada & Doran, Howard E. & Selvanathan, E.A., 2003. "Estimation of General and Commodity-Specific Inflation Rates Using Linear Time-Varying Constraints," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35.
- Ogwang, Tomson, 1995. "The stochastic approach to price index numbers: An expository note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 373-379, October.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell & Alicia N. Rambaldi & Howard E. Doran, 2001. "Estimating economic relationships subject to firm- and time-varying equality and inequality constraints," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 709-726.
- Selvanathan, E. A. & Selvanathan, S., 2004. "Modelling the commodity prices in the OECD countries: a stochastic approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 233-247, March.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2000. "Estimating The Characteristics Of Homogeneous Functionsusing Flexible Functional Forms," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123713, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Zahid, Asghar & Frahat, Tahira, 2010. "Measuring inflation through stochastic approach to index numbers," MPRA Paper 21513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E. A. Selvanathan, 2003. "Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers: a comment on Crompton," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 213-215.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.