Efficient Estimation of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems
AbstractThis article is concerned with efficient estimation of characteristics demand. We derive and estimate an inverse input demand system for quality characteristics by using 172,946 observations over 881 trading days in the Icelandic fish auctions. An improved estimation method based on an expanded random coefficient model is suggested as an alternative to the currently used two-stage method of Brown and Rosen. The estimates demonstrate the improved efficiency of the suggested method. A number of empirical results emerge, including a general increase in the demand for quality. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kristofersson, Dadi & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2003. "Efficient Estimation Of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21926, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart, Kenneth G & Jones, J C H, 1998. "Hedonics and Demand Analysis: The Implicit Demand for Player Attributes," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(2), pages 192-202, April.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1987. "The Estimation of Demand Parameters in Hedonic Price Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 81-88, February.
- James N. Brown & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982.
"On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, James N & Rosen, Harvey S, 1982. "On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 765-68, May.
- Charles D. Kolstad & Michelle H. L. Turnovsky, 1998. "Cost Functions And Nonlinear Prices: Estimating A Technology With Quality-Differentiated Inputs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 444-453, August.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Combris, Pierre & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 1997. "Estimation for a Hedonic Price Equation for Bordeaux Wine: Does Quality Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 390-402, March.
- Kenneth E. McConnell & Ivar E. Strand, 2000. "Hedonic Prices for Fish: Tuna Prices in Hawaii," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 133-144.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1995. "Hedonic price functions and the measurement of preferences: The case of Swedish wine consumers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1697-1716, December.
- repec:ags:mareec:54150 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stoeppel, Kelly M. & Maynard, Leigh J., 2006.
"Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal,"
37871, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Stoeppel, Kelly M., 2007. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 25(2).
- Stoeppel, Kelly M. & Maynard, Leigh J., 2006. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Staff Papers 31983, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Fanning, Jasper & Marsh, Thomas L., 2005. "Spatial Hedonic Analysis Of Veterinarian Income," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19168, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Smed, Sinne & Hansen, Lars Garn, 2012.
"Consumer valuation of health attributes in food,"
2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA
122730, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Smed, Sinne & Hansen, Lars Garn, 2010. "Consumer valuation of health attributes in food," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116390, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rangkakulnuwat, Poomthan & Wang, H. Holly & Ahn, Sung K., 2007. "The inverse imported factor demand system in Thailand: A cointegration analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 402-407, March.
- Hammarlund, Cecilia, 2013. "The Big, the Bad and the Average: Hedonic Prices and Inverse Demand for Baltic Cod," Working Papers 2013:34, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Laurent Gobillon & François-Charles Wolff & Patrice Guillotreau, 2013. "The anatomy of prices on the French fish market," Working Papers halshs-00839147, HAL.
- Marsh, Thomas L. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 2013. "Measuring Pre-Commited Quantities Through Consumer Price Formation," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152165, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Laurent Gobillon & François-Charles Wolff & Patrice Guillotreau, 2013. "The anatomy of prices on the French fish market," PSE Working Papers halshs-00839147, HAL.
- repec:ags:mareec:47053 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ochieng', Otieno Geoffrey, 2010. "Effect of Value Addition on Price: A Hedonic Analysis of Peanut in Retail Supermarkets in Nairobi, Kenya," Research Theses 134495, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.