Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal
AbstractThoroughbred broodmares are the foundation of a successful racing operation. This study estimated the impact of breeding, racing, genetic, and market characteristics on broodmare auction prices. Data represent 298 broodmares in foal that were sold in Keeneland's 2005 sale. Prices were most responsive to the sire's stud fee and the broodmare's age, with pronounced day-of-sale effects. Overall valuation structure appeared similar to Neibergs' results using the 1996 data. Out-of-sample forecasts were far superior to naive forecasts, but were not accurate enough to use in isolation from other decision aids such as visual inspection of the horse.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 37871.
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 400 Agricultural Engineering Bldg., Lexington, KY 40546-0276
Phone: (859) 257-5762
Fax: (859) 323-1913
Web page: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AgEcon
More information through EDIRC
broodmare; Thoroughbred horses; hedonic price analysis; forecasting; Agribusiness; Demand and Price Analysis; Marketing;
Other versions of this item:
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Stoeppel, Kelly M., 2007. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 25(2).
- Stoeppel, Kelly M. & Maynard, Leigh J., 2006. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Staff Papers 31983, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Kastens, Terry L. & Douthit, Megan & Marsh, Thomas L., 2004. "Price Determinants Of Show Quality Quarter Horses," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36199, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Neibergs, J. Shannon & Thalheimer, Richard, 1997. "Price Expectations And Supply Response In The Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Mark Robbins & Peter Kennedy, 2001. "Buyer behaviour in a regional thoroughbred yearling market," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 969-977.
- Kristofersson, Dadi & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2003.
"Efficient Estimation Of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
21926, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dadi Kristofersson & Kyrre Rickertsen, 2004. "Efficient Estimation of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1127-1137.
- Steven Buccola & Yoko Iizuka, 1997. "Hedonic Cost Models and the Pricing of Milk Components," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 452-462.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Stowe, C. Jill & Ajello, Billy, . "A Hedonic Price Analysis of Differentiated Products of Unknown Quality: Freshman Sire Stud Fees in the Thoroughbred Breeding Industry," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia.
- Plant, Emily J. & Stowe, C. Jill, 2013. "The Price of Disclosure in the Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(02), May.
- Vestal, Mallory K. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Cooper, Steven R. & Ward, Clement E., 2012. "What Are the Consequences of United States Government Slaughter Policies on Horse Prices?," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119766, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Vestal, Mallory K. & Lusk, Jayson L. & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Cooper, Steven R. & Ward, Clement E., 2012. "Quarter Horse Supply and Demand: Welfare Analysis and Impacts of the Equine Processing Ban," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124536, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.