Show Quality Quarter Horse Auctions: Price Determinants and Buy-Back Practices
AbstractThis study estimates the price determinants of show quality quarter horses sold at auction. Several characteristics including genetic and physical traits, quality of pedigree, and performance record of the horse, as well as the horse's offspring, were found to significantly impact selling price. Sale order positively affected price and appears to be driven by buyers rather than intentional ordering of the horses. A common practice at horse auctions is for the seller to reject the final bid offered and buy back the horse. Model-predicted prices for these buy-back horses indicate they are not undervalued by the final bids, based on their characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2006)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
auction; equine; hedonic pricing; quarter horses; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Robbins & Peter Kennedy, 2001. "Buyer behaviour in a regional thoroughbred yearling market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 969-977.
- Lansford, Notie H., Jr. & Freeman, David W. & Topliff, Donald R. & Walker, Odell L., 1998. "Hedonic Pricing of Race-Bred Yearling Quarter Horses Produced by Quarter Horse Sires and Dams," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 16(2).
- Jan Chvosta & Randal R. Rucker & Myles J. Watts, 2001. "Transaction Costs and Cattle Marketing: The Information Content of Seller-Provided Presale Data at Bull Auctions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 286-301.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Simms, Danny D. & Bolze, Ronald P., Jr. & Geske, Jeremy, 1996. "Determinants Of Purebred Beef Bull Price Differentials," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Lillywhite, Jay M. & Simonsen, J., 2008. "Understanding Factors That Influence Breeders to Sell Bulls at Performance Tests," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(03), December.
- Vestal, Mallory K. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Cooper, Steven R. & Ward, Clement E., 2012. "What Are the Consequences of United States Government Slaughter Policies on Horse Prices?," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119766, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Vestal, Mallory K. & Lusk, Jayson L. & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Cooper, Steven R. & Ward, Clement E., 2012. "Quarter Horse Supply and Demand: Welfare Analysis and Impacts of the Equine Processing Ban," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124536, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Taylor, Mykel & Sieverkropp, Elizabeth, 2013. "The Impacts of U.S. Horse Slaughter Plant Closures on a Western Regional Horse Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.