Hedonic Pricing, Information, And The Market For Thoroughbred Yearlings
AbstractBuilding on the 1997 work of Chezum and Wimmer, and the 1998 work of Lansford, Freeman, Topliff, and Walker, we estimated a hedonic hammer price model on a random and representative sample of 212 yearlings from the 1999 Keeneland September Yearling Sale. Explanatory variables representing day of sale, age of yearling, stud fee, racing performance of sire and dam, geographic origin of yearling, and yearling health information were statistically significant. In each model, we failed to reject the null hypothesis of no adverse selection; sellers who breed and race horses did not receive a statistically significant price penalty on their yearlings sold in this auction, compared to sellers who just breed horses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia in its journal Journal of Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
agribusiness; equine; hedonic pricing; information; price discovery; thoroughbred yearlings; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Chvosta & Randal R. Rucker & Myles J. Watts, 2001. "Transaction Costs and Cattle Marketing: The Information Content of Seller-Provided Presale Data at Bull Auctions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 286-301.
- Richard Thalheimer & Mukhtar M. Ali, 1995. "The Demand for Parimutuel Horse Race Wagering and Attendance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 129-143, January.
- Karungu, Peter & Reed, Michael R. & Tvedt, Douglas D., 1993. "Macroeconomic Factors And The Thoroughbred Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Lansford, Notie H., Jr. & Freeman, David W. & Topliff, Donald R. & Walker, Odell L., 1998. "Hedonic Pricing of Race-Bred Yearling Quarter Horses Produced by Quarter Horse Sires and Dams," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 16(2).
- Mukhtar Ali & Richard Thalheimer, 1997. "Transportation costs and product demand: wagering on parimutuel horse racing," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 529-542.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R. & Brazle, Frank & Grunewald, Orlen C., 1988. "Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Price Differentials," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Simms, Danny D. & Bolze, Ronald P., Jr. & Geske, Jeremy, 1996. "Determinants Of Purebred Beef Bull Price Differentials," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Genesove, David, 1993. "Adverse Selection in the Wholesale Used Car Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 644-65, August.
- Neibergs, J. Shannon & Thalheimer, Richard, 1997. "Price Expectations And Supply Response In The Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Pollakowski, Henry O., 1981. "Choice of functional form for hedonic price equations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49, July.
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Taylor, Mykel & Sieverkropp, Elizabeth, 2013. "The Impacts of U.S. Horse Slaughter Plant Closures on a Western Regional Horse Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Kolodinsky, Jane, 2008. "Affect or information? Labeling policy and consumer valuation of rBST free and organic characteristics of milk," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 616-623, December.
- Plant, Emily J. & Stowe, C. Jill, 2013. "The Price of Disclosure in the Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(02), May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.