Buyer behaviour in a regional thoroughbred yearling market
AbstractThis paper reports the results of an hedonic pricing analysis of a regional thoroughbred auction market, adding to a literature which has been built mainly on data from elite auction markets. The main contribution of the paper is the finding that the role of the dam in affecting yearling price, elusive in the existing literature, is shown to depend primarily on information about progeny performance rather than dam performance. Additional results confirm existing knowledge about the roles of the sire, yearling sex, and yearling age, and support suspicions that race horses are consumer rather than investment goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Stoeppel, Kelly M., 2007.
"Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal,"
Journal of Agribusiness,
Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 25(2).
- Stoeppel, Kelly M. & Maynard, Leigh J., 2006. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Staff Papers 31983, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Stoeppel, Kelly M. & Maynard, Leigh J., 2006. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Staff Papers 37871, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Taylor, Mykel & Sieverkropp, Elizabeth, 2013. "The Impacts of U.S. Horse Slaughter Plant Closures on a Western Regional Horse Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Stowe, C. Jill & Ajello, Billy, . "A Hedonic Price Analysis of Differentiated Products of Unknown Quality: Freshman Sire Stud Fees in the Thoroughbred Breeding Industry," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia.
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Kastens, Terry L. & Douthit, Megan & Marsh, Thomas L., 2006. "Show Quality Quarter Horse Auctions: Price Determinants and Buy-Back Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.