Effect of Value Addition on Price: A Hedonic Analysis of Peanut in Retail Supermarkets in Nairobi, Kenya
AbstractMarket liberalization, globalization, and changing consumer behaviour are causing transformation in Kenyan agro-food value chains. Production, marketing and consumption are moving towards high-valued products resulting to diversification in the agricultural food production portfolio. The purpose of this research was to evaluate the effects of value addition on product price in reducing the declining per capita expenditure as well as reduced competitiveness of peanut and its products sold in the supermarkets of Nairobi. The objectives were, to characterize peanut value addition levels, establish whether the level of value addition affects prices, and determine if there are price differentials due to supermarket location, division as well as across the types of the supermarkets in addition to establishing factors that influence price differentials in Nairobi. The eight administrative divisions of Nairobi were stratified to give a sample of 100, who were randomly selected. Descriptive statistics were used to analyze and describe the nature of the supermarkets, while one way ANOVA, least square difference (LSD), Tukey post hoc tests and hedonic model were used in the analysis. Results show that there were eight different levels of value addition for peanuts, and prices differed significantly across the levels of value addition. product packaging, brand and product weight significantly influenced peanut product prices. Therefore, the study suggests policy interventions’ to stimulate production of value added products, establishment of a national market education program in addition to strengthening agricultural research extension services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics in its series Research Theses with number 134495.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.agriculturaleconomics.net
Crop Production/Industries; Financial Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brasington, David M. & Hite, Diane, 2005.
"Demand for environmental quality: a spatial hedonic analysis,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-82, January.
- David Brasington & D. Hite, . "Demand for Environmental Quality: A Spatial Hedonic Analysis," Departmental Working Papers 2003-02, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Michael T. Carroll & James L. Anderson & Josué Mart�nez-Garmendia, 2001. "Pricing U.S. North Atlantic bluefin tuna and implications for management," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 243-254.
- Kristofersson, Dadi & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2003.
"Efficient Estimation Of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
21926, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dadi Kristofersson & Kyrre Rickertsen, 2004. "Efficient Estimation of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1127-1137.
- Gonzalez, Maria-Paz & Thornsbury, Suzanne & Twede, Diana, 2007. "Packaging as a Tool for Product Development: Communicating Value to Consumers," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 38(1), March.
- Neven, David & Reardon, Thomas, 2006. "Kenyan Supermarkets and Horticultural Farm Sector Development," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25759, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fredrik Carlsson & Peter Frykblom & Carl Johan Lagerkvist, 2007. "Consumer Benefits of Labels and Bans on GM Foods—Choice Experiments with Swedish Consumers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 152-161.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Scanner Data: New Opportunities For Demand And Competitive Strategy Analysis," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(2), October.
- Bodo E. Steiner, 2004. "Australian wines in the British wine market: A hedonic price analysis," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 287-307.
- Grebitus, Carola & Jensen, Helen H. & Sebranek, Joseph G. & Roosen, Jutta & Anders, Sven, 2009. "Consumer preferences for ground beef packaged under a modified atmosphere," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51649, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Martin J. Nielsen & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2004. "Theory of Storage and the Pricing of Commodity Claims," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 5-24.
- David Neven & Thomas Reardon, 2004. "The Rise of Kenyan Supermarkets and the Evolution of their Horticulture Product Procurement Systems," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22(6), pages 669-699, November.
- Frank Asche & Daniel Gordon & Rognvaldur Hannesson, 2002. "Searching for price parity in the European whitefish market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(8), pages 1017-1024.
- Neven, David & Reardon, Thomas & Chege, Jonathan & Wang, Honglin, 2005. "Supermarkets And Consumers In Africa: The Case Of Nairobi, Kenya," Staff Papers 11584, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2007. "Hedonic Retail Beef and Pork Product Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Lai, Kee-hung & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2008. "Responsive supply chain: A competitive strategy in a networked economy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 549-564, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.