Pricing U.S. North Atlantic bluefin tuna and implications for management
AbstractBluefin tuna is regarded as a high-quality product in the Japanese market and is characterized by an unusual marketing system by seafood industry standards. Each fish is individually inspected for various quality attributes before being flown to Japan for the fresh tuna market. The first objective of this study is to formally evaluate the degree to which the price of U.S. fresh bluefin tuna is determined by quality attributes of each fish, rather than by just the quantity supplied. This is accomplished using a Hedonic model. The results support the hypothesis that the fresh bluefin tuna price is, in fact, significantly influenced by the quality attributes of the fish, including the freshness, fat content, color, and shape. Interesting implications for public management of this highly valued resource arise from the results. [Econ-Lit citation: L150, L190, L660] © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoesli, Martin & Giaccotto, Carmelo & Favarger, Philippe, 1997. "Three New Real Estate Price Indices for Geneva, Switzerland," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 93-109, July.
- Bierlen, Ralph W. & Grunewald, Orlen C., 1995. "Price Incentives For Commercial Fresh Tomatoes," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Biing-Hwan Lin & Hiroshi Mori, 1991. "Implicit values of Beef carcass characteristics in Japan: Implications for the US Beef export industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 101-114.
- Chang, Hui-Shung, 1995. "Examining hard coking coal price differentials A hedonic pricing approach," Resources Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 275-282, December.
- Chikako Kajikawa, 1998. "Quality level and price in Japanese apple market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 227-234.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Gilbert Sylvia & Sherry L. Larkin, 1995. "Firm-level Intermediate Demand for Pacific Whiting Products: A Multi-attribute, Multi-sector Analysis," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 43(3), pages 501-518, November.
- Edward Shinnick, 1997. "Measuring Irish housing quality," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(1/2), pages 95-119, January.
- Steven Buccola & Yoko Iizuka, 1997. "Hedonic Cost Models and the Pricing of Milk Components," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 452-462.
- Hallstein, Eric & Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2013.
"Can household consumers save the wild fish? Lessons from a sustainable seafood advisory,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 52-71.
- Hallstein, Eric & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2013. "Can Household Consumers Save the Wild Fish? Lessons from a Sustainable Seafood Advisory," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley qt29v6w5sp, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Sherry Larkin & Gil Sylvia, 2004. "Generating Enhanced Fishery Rents by Internalizing Product Quality Characteristics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(1), pages 101-122, May.
- Ochieng', Otieno Geoffrey, 2010. "Effect of Value Addition on Price: A Hedonic Analysis of Peanut in Retail Supermarkets in Nairobi, Kenya," Research Theses, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics 134495, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Martínez-Garmendia, Josué, 2010. "Application of hedonic price modeling to consumer packaged goods using store scanner data," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 690-696, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.