Estimating Marginal Implicit Prices For Selected Quality Attributes Of Hybrid Seed Corn
AbstractThe central objective of this study was to estimate the implicit marginal prices for the following attributes of hybrid seed corn: yield, moisture content, root lodging, stalk lodging, stand survival and ear drop. This study fills an existent gap in the application of a hedonic price technique to agricultural commodities. A hedonic price equation was constructed and estimated using characteristics data on hybrid corn varieties obtained from the Iowa State University Extension Service. Seed price data were solicited from seed companies for the same set of hybrids. In total, fifty-nine seed companies were asked for suggested retail prices for their hybrids. Forty companies responded with 1991 price information which was used in estimating the parameters of the formulated models. Six hypotheses relating the price paid for hybrid seed corn with the performance characteristics of interest were formulated and tested. Results indicate that the prices that farmers paid for hybrid seed corn were significantly related only to (1) the moisture content and (2) the root lodging characteristics of the resulting crop. Both results were significant at the 0.005 level. Surprisingly, seed price and yield were not significantly related. More research is needed to further analyze these relationships and to analyze farmer's response to the wide range of nonprice services provided by seed companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 13473.
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Crop Production/Industries; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Pollakowski, Henry O., 1981. "Choice of functional form for hedonic price equations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49, July.
- Lerman, Steven R. & Kern, Clifford R., 1983. "Hedonic theory, bid rents, and willingness-to-pay: Some extensions of Ellickson's results," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 358-363, May.
- Carlson, Gerald A. & Zilberman, David & Miranowski, John, 1993. "Agricultural and Resource Economics," Staff General Research Papers 11104, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Sundquist, W. Burt & Menz, Kenneth M. & Neumeyer, Catherine F., 1982. "A Technology Assessment of Commercial Corn Production in the United States," Station Bulletins 51106, University of Minnesota, Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Nelson, Jon P., 1978. "Residential choice, hedonic prices, and the demand for urban air quality," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 357-369, July.
- Jordan, Jeffrey L. & Shewfelt, R.L. & Prussia, Stanley E. & Hurst, W.C., 1985. "Estimating Implicit Marginal Prices Of Quality Characteristics Of Tomatoes," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Harrison, David Jr. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1978. "Hedonic housing prices and the demand for clean air," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Biing-Hwan Lin & Hiroshi Mori, 1991. "Implicit values of Beef carcass characteristics in Japan: Implications for the US Beef export industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 101-114.
- Murdoch, James C. & Thayer, Mark A., 1988. "Hedonic price estimation of variable urban air quality," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 143-146, June.
- Ethridge, Don E. & Davis, Bob, 1982. "Hedonic Price Estimation For Commodities: An Application To Cotton," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.