Measuring Irish housing quality
AbstractReviews the development of Irish housing policy from the eighteenth century to the present. Emphasizes the importance of measuring quality in housing, where housing may be described by a vector of measured characteristics. Undertakes a detailed price determination of these various characteristics using a hedonic model. Explains observed house prices in terms of the various housing characteristics using a hedonic model, from which a set of implicit or “hedonic” prices emerges. Reviews the theoretical basis of such an approach and develops a model specifically for aggregated data, as other studies in this area used disaggregated models. Obtains quantitative estimates of the qualitative and quantitative characteristics of the housing bundle before and after a series of model transformations. The results indicate the premium associated with certain housing characteristics. They emphasize, in particular, the importance of floor area and location in determining new Irish estate house prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 24 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1/2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raquel Arévalo Tomé & José María Chamorro Rivas, . "Geographic Heterogeneity in Housing. Evidence from Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 203, FEDEA.
- Arindam Bandyopadhyay & Asish Saha, 2011. "Distinctive demand and risk characteristics of residential housing loan market in India," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 703-724, November.
- Rangan Gupta & Alain Kabundi, 2010.
"The effect of monetary policy on house price inflation: A factor augmented vector autoregression (FAVAR) approach,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 616-626, September.
- Rangan Gupta & Alain Kabundi, 2009. "The Effect Of Monetary Policy On House Price Inflation: A Factor Augmented Vector Autoregression (Favar) Approach," Working Papers 200903, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Leech, D. & Campos, E., 2000. "Is Comprehensive Education Really Free? A Study of the Effects of Secondary School Admissions Policies on House Prices," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 581, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Raquel Arévalo Tomé & José María Chamorro Rivas, 2003. "A Quality Index for Spanish Housing," Working Papers 0309, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Michael T. Carroll & James L. Anderson & Josué Mart�nez-Garmendia, 2001. "Pricing U.S. North Atlantic bluefin tuna and implications for management," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 243-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jade Turvey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.