Responsive supply chain: A competitive strategy in a networked economy
AbstractSupply chain management (SCM) has been considered as the most popular operations strategy for improving organizational competitiveness in the twenty-first century. In the early 1990s, agile manufacturing (AM) gained momentum and received due attention from both researchers and practitioners. In the mid-1990s, SCM began to attract interest. Both AM and SCM appear to differ in philosophical emphasis, but each complements the other in objectives for improving organizational competitiveness. For example, AM relies more on strategic alliances/partnerships (virtual enterprise environment) to achieve speed and flexibility. But the issues of cost and the integration of suppliers and customers have not been given due consideration in AM. By contrast, cost is given a great deal of attention in SCM, which focuses on the integration of suppliers and customers to achieve an integrated value chain with the help of information technologies and systems. Considering the significance of both AM and SCM for firms to improve their performance, an attempt has been made in this paper to analyze both AM and SCM with the objective of developing a framework for responsive supply chain (RSC). We compare their characteristics and objectives, review the selected literature, and analyze some case experiences on AM and SCM, and develop an integrated framework for a RSC. The proposed framework can be employed as a competitive strategy in a networked economy in which customized products/services are produced with virtual organizations and exchanged using e-commerce.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gunasekaran, A., 1999. "Agile manufacturing: A framework for research and development," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 87-105, May.
- Xia, Weijun & Wu, Zhiming, 2007. "Supplier selection with multiple criteria in volume discount environments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 494-504, October.
- Frayret, Jean-Marc & D&rsquo & Amours, Sophie & Montreuil, Benoit & Cloutier, Louis, 2001. "A network approach to operate agile manufacturing systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-3), pages 239-259, December.
- Rudberg, Martin & Martin West, B., 2008. "Global operations strategy: Coordinating manufacturing networks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 91-106, February.
- Offodile, O. Felix & Abdel-Malek, Layek L., 2002. "The virtual manufacturing paradigm: The impact of IT/IS outsourcing on manufacturing strategy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 147-159, January.
- Ben Naylor, J. & Naim, Mohamed M & Berry, Danny, 1999. "Leagility: Integrating the lean and agile manufacturing paradigms in the total supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 107-118, May.
- Ruiz-Torres, Alex J. & Mahmoodi, Farzad, 2007. "The optimal number of suppliers considering the costs of individual supplier failures," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 104-115, February.
- Stratton, R. & Warburton, R. D. H., 2003. "The strategic integration of agile and lean supply," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 183-198, August.
- Stefansson, Gunnar, 2002. "Business-to-business data sharing: A source for integration of supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 135-146, January.
- Meijboom, Bert & Obel, Børge, 2007. "Tactical coordination in a multi-location and multi-stage operations structure: A model and a pharmaceutical company case," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 258-273, June.
- Da Silveira, Giovani & Borenstein, Denis & Fogliatto, Flavio S., 2001. "Mass customization: Literature review and research directions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 1-13, June.
- Gunasekaran, A., 1999. "Design and implementation of agile manufacturing systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 1-6, May.
- Coronado M., Adrian E. & Sarhadi, Mansoor & Millar, Colin, 2002. "Defining a framework for information systems requirements for agile manufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 57-68, January.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Sundarraj, R. P., 2002. "Evolution of brokering paradigms in e-commerce enabled manufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 21-31, January.
- Mason-Jones, Rachel & Towill, Denis R., 1999. "Total cycle time compression and the agile supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 61-73, May.
- Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-hung & Shang, Kuo-Chung & Lu, Chin-Shan & Leung, T.K.P., 2012. "Green operations and the moderating role of environmental management capability of suppliers on manufacturing firm performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 283-294.
- Maumbe, Blessing M. & Brown, Cheryl, 2013. "Entrepreneurial and Buyer-Driven Local Wine Supply Chains: Case Study of Acres of Land Winery in Kentucky," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(1).
- Lun, Y.H. Venus & Browne, Michael & Lai, Kee-hung & Wong, Christina W.Y. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2011. "Examining the influence of firm performance on business risk-taking and the mediation effect of scale of operations in the container terminal industry," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 64-70.
- Kabak, Özgür & Ülengin, Füsun, 2011. "Possibilistic linear-programming approach for supply chain networking decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(3), pages 253-264, March.
- Koh, S.C.L. & Gunasekaran, A. & Tseng, C.S., 2012. "Cross-tier ripple and indirect effects of directives WEEE and RoHS on greening a supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 305-317.
- Böhnlein, Dominik & Schweiger, Katharina & Tuma, Axel, 2011. "Multi-agent-based transport planning in the newspaper industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 146-157, May.
- Ivanov, Dmitry & Sokolov, Boris, 2013. "Control and system-theoretic identification of the supply chain dynamics domain for planning, analysis and adaptation of performance under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(2), pages 313-323.
- Ueki, Yasushi, 2013. "Supply chain collaboration and responsiveness : a comparison between Thai automotive and electronics industries," IDE Discussion Papers 416, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Ochieng', Otieno Geoffrey, 2010. "Effect of Value Addition on Price: A Hedonic Analysis of Peanut in Retail Supermarkets in Nairobi, Kenya," Research Theses 134495, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Teo, Thompson S.H. & Lin, Sijie & Lai, Kee-hung, 2009. "Adopters and non-adopters of e-procurement in Singapore: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 972-987, October.
- Soysal, Mehmet & Bloemhof, Jacqueline M. & van der Vorst, Jack G.A.J., 2012. "A Review of Quantitative Models for Sustainable Food Logistics Management: Challenges and Issues," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144974, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Soysal, Mehmet & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline.M. & Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & van der Vorst, Jack G.A.J., 2012. "A Review on Quantitative Models for Sustainable Food Logistics Management," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 3(2).
- Tachizawa, Elcio M. & Gimenez, Cristina, 2010. "Supply flexibility strategies in Spanish firms: Results from a survey," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 214-224, March.
- Kyu Kim, Kyung & Yul Ryoo, Sung & Dug Jung, Myung, 2011. "Inter-organizational information systems visibility in buyer-supplier relationships: The case of telecommunication equipment component manufacturing industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 667-676, December.
- Liu, Songsong & Papageorgiou, Lazaros G., 2013. "Multiobjective optimisation of production, distribution and capacity planning of global supply chains in the process industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 369-382.
- Tomino, Takahiro & Park, Youngwon & Hong, Paul & Roh, James Jungbae, 2009. "Market flexible customizing system (MFCS) of Japanese vehicle manufacturers: An analysis of Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 375-386, April.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Wong, Christina W.Y., 2012. "Green logistics management and performance: Some empirical evidence from Chinese manufacturing exporters," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 267-282.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.