Consumer Benefits of Labels and Bans on GM Foods—Choice Experiments with Swedish Consumers
AbstractThe European Union has been relatively cautious about using biotechnology in food production. A label regime combined with the right of individual member states to ban introduction of new genetically modified (GM) strains means that GM food products in effect are banned in many countries. We show how it is possible to empirically test whether a ban can be motivated by reference to potential negative externalities. This is followed up by results from a choice experiment. We cannot reject the hypothesis of equal WTP for a ban and a labeling scheme. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michaud, C. & Llerena, D. & Joly, I., 2012.
"Willingness to pay for environmental attributes of non-food agricultural products: a real choice experiment,"
201201, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Celine Michaud & Daniel Llerena & Iragael Joly, 2013. "Willingness to pay for environmental attributes of non-food agricultural products: a real choice experiment," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 313-329, March.
- Tonsor, Glynn T. & Wolf, Christopher A., 2011. "On mandatory labeling of animal welfare attributes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 430-437, June.
- Kyriaki Remoundou & Andreas C. Drichoutis & Phoebe Koundouri, 2013. "Isolating Warm Glow in Charitable Auction Giving," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 131, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Hustvedt, Gwendolyn & Chen, Yun-Ju (Kelly), 2008. "US Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Wool Product Attributes," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6747, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Doherty, Edel & Campbell, Danny, 2011. "Demand for improved food safety and quality: a cross-regional comparison," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108791, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Fredrik Carlsson & Jorge García & Åsa Löfgren, 2010.
"Conformity and the Demand for Environmental Goods,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(3), pages 407-421, November.
- Liu, Pengcheng, 2009. "Consumers’ WTA for GM rice cookie: an experiment study in China," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51771, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zhao, Li & Gu, Haiying & Yue, Chengyan & Ahlstrom, David, 2013. "Consumer welfare and GM food labeling: A simulation using an adjusted Kumaraswamy distribution," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 58-70.
- H. Eggert & M. Greaker, 2011. "Trade, GMOs and Environmental Risk: Are Current Policies Likely to Improve Welfare?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(4), pages 587-608, April.
- Wolf, Christopher A. & Tonsor, Glynn T. & Olynk, Nicole J., 2011. "Understanding U.S. Consumer Demand for Milk Production Attributes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(2), August.
- Roberts, David C. & Boyer, Tracy A. & Lusk, Jayson L., 2008. "Preferences for environmental quality under uncertainty," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 584-593, July.
- Bond, Craig A. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Bond, Jennifer Keeling, 2008. "What to Choose? The Value of Label Claims to Fresh Produce Consumers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(3), December.
- Tonsor, Glynn T. & Olynk, Nicole J. & Wolf, Christopher A., 2008. "Consumer Preferences for Animal Welfare Attributes: Case of Gestation Crates," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6062, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Balcombe, Kelvin & Chalak, Ali & Fraser, Iain, 2009. "Model selection for the mixed logit with Bayesian estimation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 226-237, March.
- Ochieng', Otieno Geoffrey, 2010. "Effect of Value Addition on Price: A Hedonic Analysis of Peanut in Retail Supermarkets in Nairobi, Kenya," Research Theses 134495, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.