Comparing organizational structures in health services
AbstractThe study of organizational choice is crucial to the understanding of firms' efficiency. We consider this issue applied to contracts on health services. In particular, we analyze the circumstances under which it is better for an insurer to contract with both the hospital and the physician instead of contracting exclusively with the hospital, delegating to the latter the power to contract the physician.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 49 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Other versions of this item:
- Jelovac, I. & Macho-Stadler, I., 1998. "Comparing Organizational Structures in Health Services," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 412.98, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- J33 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Compensation Packages; Payment Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nahum Melumad & Dilip Mookherjee & Stefan Reichelstein, 1997.
"Contract Complexity, Incentives, and the Value of Delegation,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 257-289, 06.
- Melamad, N. & Mookherjee, D. & Reichelstein, S., 1996. "Contract Complexity, Incentives and the Value of Delegation," Papers 70, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Nahum Melamad & Dilip Mookherjee & Stefan Reichelstein, 1996. "Contract Complexity, Incentives and the Value of Delegation," Papers 0070, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1992. "Medical Care Costs: How Much Welfare Loss?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Poitevin, M., 2000.
"Can the Theory of Incentives Explain Devcentralization?,"
Cahiers de recherche
2000-13, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Michel Poitevin, 2000. "Can the theory of incentives explain decentralization?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 878-906, November.
- Michel Poitevin, 2000. "Can the Theory of Incentives Explain Decentralization?," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-32, CIRANO.
- Ching-to Albert Ma, 1994.
"Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives,"
0047, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Ma, Ching-to Albert, 1994. "Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 93-112, Spring.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Martimort, David, 1995.
"Collusion and Delegation,"
IDEI Working Papers
54, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Macho-Stadler, I. & Perez-Castrillo, J.D., 1990.
"Double risque moral et délégation,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-21, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Inés MACHO-STADLER & David PÉREZ-CASTRILLO, 1991. "Double risque moral et délégation," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1991033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Sandeep Baliga & Tomas Sjostrom, 1998.
"Decentralization and Collusion,"
1210, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sandeep Baliga & Tomas Sjostrom, 1996. "Decentralization and Collusion," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1757, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Izabela Jelovac, 2001. "Physicians' payment contracts, treatment decisions and diagnosis accuracy," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 9-25.
- POITEVIN, Michel, 2000. "Innis Lecture: Can the Theory of Incentives Explain Decentralization?," Cahiers de recherche 2000-13, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Robinson, James C, 1996. "Administered Pricing and Vertical Integration in the Hospital Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 357-78, April.
- Randall P. Ellis & Thomas G. McGuire, 1993. "Supply-Side and Demand-Side Cost Sharing in Health Care," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 135-151, Fall.
- Brooks, John M. & Dor, Avi & Wong, Herbert S., 1997. "Hospital-insurer bargaining: An empirical investigation of appendectomy pricing," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 417-434, August.
- Gaynor, Martin, 1994.
"Issues in the Industrial Organization of the Market for Physician Services,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 211-55, Spring.
- Martin Gaynor, 1995. "Issues in the Industrial Organization of the Market for Physician Services," NBER Working Papers 4695, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myerson, Roger B., 1982. "Optimal coordination mechanisms in generalized principal-agent problems," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 67-81, June.
- Theilen, Bernd, 2009. "Decentralization and the Gains from Monitoring," Working Papers 2072/42863, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Siciliani, Luigi, 2006. "Selection of treatment under prospective payment systems in the hospital sector," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 479-499, May.
- Theilen, Bernd, 1965-, 2011.
"Decentralization of contracts with interim sidecontracting,"
2072/169684, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Bernd Theilen, 2012. "Decentralization of contracts with interim side-contracting," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 73(4), pages 561-590, October.
- Carroll, Kathleen & Ruseski, Jane, 2009.
"Modeling Internal Decision Making Process: An Explanation of Conflicting Empirical Results on Behavior of Nonprofit and For-Profit Hospitals,"
2009-23, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Kathleen A. Carroll & Jane E. Ruseski, 2011. "Modeling Internal Decision Making Process: An Explanation Of Conflicting Empirical Results On Behavior Of Non‐Profit And For‐Profit Hospitals," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(4), pages 510-523, October.
- Rafael Hortala-Vallve & Miguel Sanchez, 2005. "Hierarchic contracting," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 73, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2006. "Contractual design and public-private parternships for hospitals," Working Papers 292, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Theilen Bernd, 2008. "Lobbying and Contract Delegation in Public Procurement," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-35, September.
- Barlo, Mehmet & Ayca, Ozdogan, 2012. "Team beats collusion," MPRA Paper 37449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pedro Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2009. "Contractual design and PPPs for hospitals: lessons for the Portuguese model," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 437-453, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.