Patient Mobility, Health Care Quality and Welfare
AbstractPatient mobility is a key issue in the EU who recently passed a new law on patients’right to EU-wide provider choice. In this paper we use a Hotelling model with two regions that differ in technology to study the impact of patient mobility on health care quality, health care financing and welfare. A decentralised solution without patient mobility leads to too low (high) quality and too few (many) patients being treated in the high-skill (low-skill) region. A centralised solution with patient mobility implements the first best, but the low-skill region would not be willing to transfer authority as its welfare is lower than without mobility. In a decentralised solution, the effects of patient mobility depend on the transfer payment. If the payment is below marginal cost, mobility leads to a ‘race-to-the-bottom’in quality and lower welfare in both regions. If the payment is equal to marginal cost, quality and welfare remain unchanged in the high-skill region, but the low-skill region bene…ts. For a socially optimal payment, which is higher than marginal cost, quality levels in the two regions are closer to (but not at) the …rst best, but welfare is lower in the low-skill region. Thus, patient mobility can have adverse effects on quality provision and welfare unless an appropriate transfer payment scheme is implemented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series in Economics with number 13/2011.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 22 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: NHH, Department of Economics, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway
Phone: +47 55 959 277
Fax: 5595 9100
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/sam/
More information through EDIRC
Patient mobility; Health care quality; Regional and global welfare.;
Other versions of this item:
- Kurt R. Brekke & Rosella Levaggi & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2011. "Patient Mobility, Health Care Quality and Welfare," NIPE Working Papers 26/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Levaggi, Rosella & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2011. "Patient Mobility, Health Care Quality and Welfare," CEPR Discussion Papers 8559, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- H73 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Interjurisdictional Differentials and Their Effects
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2008.
"Hospital competition and quality with regulated prices,"
NIPE Working Papers
06/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2011. "Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113, pages 444-469, 06.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009. "Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices," CESifo Working Paper Series 2635, CESifo Group Munich.
- Oates, Wallace E., 2001. "Fiscal competition and European Union: contrasting perspectives," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 133-145, April.
- Thomas P. Lyon, 1999. "Quality Competition, Insurance, and Consumer Choice in Health Care Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 546-580, December.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2002.
"Public and Private Provision of Health Care,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 109-133, 03.
- Pedro P. Barras & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, . "Public And Private Provision Of Healtch Care," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 438.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Martinez-Giralt, Xavier & Pita Barros, Pedro Luis, 2000. "Public and Private Provision of Health Care," CEPR Discussion Papers 2491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Søren Bo Nielsen, .
"A Simple Model of Commodity Taxation and Cross-Border Shopping,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
98-18, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Nielsen, Soren Bo, 2001. " A Simple Model of Commodity Taxation and Cross-Border Shopping," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 599-623, December.
- Nielsen, Søren Bo, 1998. "A simple model of commodity taxation and cross-border shopping," Working Papers 13-1998, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Martin Gaynor, .
"What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?,"
GSIA Working Papers
2006-E62, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006. "What Do We know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 06/151, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006. "What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," NBER Working Papers 12301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Petretto, 2000. "On the cost-benefit of the regionalisation of the National Health Service," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 213-232, December.
- Gravelle, Hugh & Sivey, Peter, 2010. "Imperfect information in a quality-competitive hospital market," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 524-535, July.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 2000. "Tax evasion, fiscal competition and economic integration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(9), pages 1633-1657, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dagny Hanne Kristiansen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.