The Impact of the Northeastern Dairy Compact on New England Consumers: A Report from the Milk Policy Wars
This paper presents a comparative analysis of three different economic studies that played major roles in the policy debate over the Compact. It draws an important distinction between before-after and counterfactual impact analysis and highlights constraining assumptions in models. Over time the Compact increased raw milk price 2-3 cents per gallon, but if the Compact had not been in place during the first 3 years of its operation raw milk prices would have been approximately 10 cents lower. Over time retail prices went up by much more than 2-3 cents because other costs increased and channel firms increased tacit collusion and net profits. Studies give different counterfactual estimates for retail prices without the Compact. They range from a drop of 5.7 cents per gallon to 20.7 cents per gallon and are very sensitive to modeling approach. Comparative analysis, as done in this article, should contribute to policy formulation rather than appearing ex post.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1376 Storrs Road, U-21, Storrs, Connecticut 06269-4021|
Web page: http://www.zwickcenter.uconn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce L. Gardner, 1975. "The Farm-Retail Price Spread in a Competitive Food Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 57(3), pages 399-409.
- Joseph V. Balagtas & Daniel A. Sumner, 2003. "The Effect of the Northeast Dairy Compact on Producers and Consumers, with Implications of Compact Contagion," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 123-144.
- Lass, Daniel A. & Adanu, Mawunyo & Allen, P. Geoffrey, 2001. "Impacts Of The Northeast Dairy Compact On New England Retail Prices," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
- repec:ags:nejare:v:30:y:2001:i:1:p:83-92 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2002. "A Northeast Dairy Compact Post Mortem," Issue Papers 28, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.