Local contraction-stability and uniqueness
This paper investigates the relationship between uniqueness of Nash equilibria and local stability with respect to the best-response dynamics in the cases of sum-aggregative and symmetric games. If strategies are equilibrium complements, local stability and uniqueness are the same formal properties of the game. With equilibrium substitutes, local stability is stronger than uniqueness. If players adjust sequentially rather than simultaneously, this tends towards making a symmetric equilibria of symmetric games more stable. Finally, the relationship between the stability of the Nash best-response dynamics is compared to the stability of the response-dynamics induced by aggregate-taking behavior.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Hefti, 2011. "On uniqueness and stability of symmetric equilibria in differentiable symmetric games," ECON - Working Papers 018, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Moulin, Herve, 1984. "Dominance solvability and cournot stability," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 83-102, February.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- Carlos Alós-Ferrer & Ana Ania, 2005. "The evolutionary stability of perfectly competitive behavior," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 497-516, October.
- Okuguchi, Koji & Yamazaki, Takeshi, 2008. "Global stability of unique Nash equilibrium in Cournot oligopoly and rent-seeking game," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1204-1211, April.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2009. "Strategy and Dynamics in Contests," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199549603, July.
- Diewert, W. E. & Avriel, M. & Zang, I., 1981. "Nine kinds of quasiconcavity and concavity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 397-420, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:econwp:112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.