Competing internationally: On the importance of R&D for export activity
Export is an important factor to improve growth and welfare especially for industrialized small, open economies such as Belgium. Policy may be interested in key variables that can influence export. This paper finds evidence for the importance of R&D for export activities using Belgian firm-level data. To control for reverse causality, R&D-subsidy variables are used to instrument R&D. The results show that R&D policies may indirectly help to increase the export performance of the economy. Due to the exceptionally high openness of Belgium, two subsamples of firms are considered, domestic firms and multinational firms. We observe positive effects of R&D on export for both domestic and MNEs. Once we instrument R&D because of its potential endogeneity, however, it turns out that the effect of R&D on exports is larger for domestic firms than for multinational companies.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bettina Peters, 2005.
"Persistence of Innovation: Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Bettina Peters, 2009. "Persistence of innovation: stylised facts and panel data evidence," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 226-243, April.
- Bettina Peters, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence," DRUID Working Papers 06-30, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Peters, Bettina, 2005. "Persistence of Innovation: Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-81, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Vanbeveren, Ilke & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2010.
"Product and Process Innovation and Firms’ decision to Export,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7846, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ilke Van Beveren & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2010. "Product and process innovation and firms' decision to export," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 3-24.
- Ilke Van Beveren & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2010. "Product and process innovation and firms' decision to export," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 3-24.
- de Backer, Koen & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2003.
"Foreign ownership and productivity dynamics,"
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 177-183, May.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2002. "Foreign ownership and productivity dynamics," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2002-13, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:10071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.