The social long-term care insurance in Germany: origin, situation, threats, and perspectives
This paper describes the Social Long-Term Care Insurance (SLTCI) in Germany. Based on a short review of the history of long-term care organization and the preceding laws in Germany, the implementation of the SLTCI as a self-standing pillar within the system of social insurances in Germany and its set-up with regard to eligibility criteria, service provision and financial budget are presented. Since SLTCI is a universal, contribution-financed insurance the ageing society and the corresponding shifts in the number of persons in need of care and the number of persons potentially providing informal care are challenges for its sustainability. Therefore, recently suggested reform options are discussed at the end of the paper showing potential pathways to a sufficient provision of care services in the future.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arntz, Melanie & Sacchetto, Ralf & Spermann, Alexander & Steffes, Susanne & Widmaier, Sarah, 2006.
"The German social long-term care insurance - structure and reform options,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-74, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Arntz, Melanie & Sacchetto, Ralf & Spermann, Alexander & Steffes, Susanne & Widmaier, Sarah, 2007. "The German Social Long-Term Care Insurance: Structure and Reform Options," IZA Discussion Papers 2625, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jasmin Häcker & Bernd Raffelhüschen, 2004. "Denn sie wussten, was sie taten: zur Reform der Sozialen Pflegeversicherung," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(1), pages 158-174.
- Götting, Ulrike & Haug, Karin & Hinrichs, Karl, 1994. "The Long Road to Long-Term Care Insurance in Germany," Journal of Public Policy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(03), pages 285-309, July.
- Wasem, Jurgen, 1997. "A study on decentralizing from acute care to home care settings in Germany," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(Supplemen), pages 109-129, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:10012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.