Nominal and real stochastic convergence within transition economies and to the European Union: Evidence from panel data
This paper investigates the issue of real and nominal economic convergence of transition economies in two distinct ways: i) within their own groups as in Koèenda (2001) and ii) to the European Union (EU). We extend Koèenda’s study not only by using a more stable period (post-93) but also by employing a more recent panel estimation approach developed by Im, Pesaran, and Shin (IPS) (1997), which offers less restrictive assumptions about convergence by allowing heterogeneity in the convergence rates than previous panel unit root techniques. Relaxing the assumption of homogeneity in convergence rates yields less convergence in price level and money supply variables than reported by Koèenda. Again using the IPS method, we extend the investigation to examine the convergence of the first and second round candidate economies to EU standards. We find that the first-round candidates have made significant progress in monetary policy convergence with respect to EU and there is significant real convergence between the first round candidate economies and EU, but not for the second round candidate countries. The results have important implications for full EU membership preparations by these countries, including the choice of an optimal interim exchange rate policy.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Walter-Flex-Straße 3, D - 53113 Bonn|
Web page: http://www.zei.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Jhy-Lin & Chen, Show-Lin, 2001. " Mean Reversion of Interest Rates in the Eurocurrency Market," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(4), pages 459-473, September.
- Brada, Josef C. & Kutan, Ali M., 2001.
"The convergence of monetary policy between candidate countries and the European Union,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 215-231, September.
- Brada, Josef C. & Ktan, Ali M., 2001. "The convergence of monetary policy between candidate countries and the European Union," ZEI Working Papers B 07-2001, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Brada, Josef C., 1998. "Introduction: Exchange Rates, Capital Flows, and Commercial Policies in Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 613-620, December.
- Peter Backé & Jarko Fidrmuc & Thomas Reininger & Franz Schardax, 2002. "Price Dynamics in Central and Eastern European EU Accession," Working Papers 61, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2001. "Similarity of supply and demand shocks between the euro area and the accession countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 14/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Ali M. Kutan & Josef C. Brada, 2000.
"The evolution of monetary policy in transition economies,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 31-40.
- Kutan, Ali M. & Brada, Josef C., 1999. "The evolution of monetary policy in transition economies," ZEI Working Papers B 19-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Anthony J. Richards & Gunnar Tersman, 1995.
"Growth, Nontradables, and Price Convergence in the Baltics,"
IMF Working Papers
95/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Richards, Anthony J. & Tersman, Gunnar H. R., 1996. "Growth, Nontradables, and Price Convergence in the Baltics," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 121-145, October.
- Dibooglu, Selahattin & Kutan, Ali M., 2000.
"Sources of real exchange rate fluctuations in transition economies: The case of Ploand and Hungary,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 14-2000, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Dibooglu, Selahattin & Kutan, Ali M., 2001. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations in Transition Economies: The Case of Poland and Hungary," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-275, June.
- Desai, Padma, 1998. "Macroeconomic Fragility and Exchange Rate Vulnerability: A Cautionary Record of Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 621-641, December.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zeiwps:b212002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.