Financial market heterogeneity: Implications for the EMU
This paper evaluates business cycle and welfare effects of cross-country mortgage market heterogeneity for a monetary union. By employing a calibrated two-country New Keynesian DSGE model with collateral constraints tied to housing values, we show that a change in cross-country institutional characteristics of mortgage markets, such as the LTV ratio, is likely to be an important driver of an asymmetric development in housing markets and real economic activity of member states. Our welfare analysis suggests that the welfare of the home country where the reform is implemented increases substantially. In contrast, the rest of the EMU's welfare falls due to spillover effects with magnitude depending on the size of the home country.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sanderring 2, D-97070 Würzburg|
Phone: (0931) 31-2901
Fax: (0931) 31-2101
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/no_cache/lehrstuehle/vwl1/home/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oriol Aspachs-Bracons & Pau Rabanal, 2010.
"The drivers of housing cycles in Spain,"
SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 101-130, March.
- Pau Rabanal & Oriol Aspachs-Bracons, 2009. "The Drivers of Housing Cycles in Spain," IMF Working Papers 09/203, International Monetary Fund.
- Campbell, Jeffrey R. & Hercowitz, Zvi, 2009. "Welfare implications of the transition to high household debt," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Jeffrey R. Campbell & Zvi Hercowitz, 2006. "Welfare implications of the transition to high household debt," Working Paper Series WP-06-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Oriol Aspachs-Bracons & Pau Rabanal, 2011. "The Effects of Housing Prices and Monetary Policy in a Currency Union," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 7(1), pages 225-274, March.
- Pau Rabanal & Oriol Aspachs-Bracons, 2011. "The Effects of Housing Prices and Monetary Policy in a Currency Union," IMF Working Papers 11/6, International Monetary Fund.
- Nikolay Hristov & Oliver Hülsewig & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2014. "Financial Frictions and Inflation Differentials in a Monetary Union," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 82(5), pages 549-595, 09.
- Nikolay Hristov & Oliver Hülsewig & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2010. "Financial Frictions and Inflation Differentials in a Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 3235, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hristov, Nikolay & Hülsewig, Oliver & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2013. "Financial Frictions and Inflation Differentials in a Monetary Union," Munich Reprints in Economics 19365, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Darracq Pariès, Matthieu & Notarpietro, Alessandro, 2008. "Monetary policy and housing prices in an estimated DSGE for the US and the euro area," Working Paper Series 972, European Central Bank.
- Francesco Drudi & Petra Köhler-Ulbrich & Marco Protopapa & Jiri Slacalek & Christoffer Kok Sørensen & Guido Wolswijk & Ramón Gómez Salvador & Ruth Magono & Nico Valckx & Elmar Stöss & Gerbert Hebbink , 2009. "Housing Finance in the Euro Area," Occasional Paper Series 101, European Central Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wuewep:90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.