Enforcement of European Competition Policy - Impact on Competition and Efficiency
The study analyzes the impact of European antitrust enforcement on industry performance measured as competition intensity (Price Cost Margin) and productivity (labor productivity and distance to the frontier). For a panel of OECD countries on the industry level since 1988, we estimate the impact of an infringement decision by the European Commission on the competitive market structure. We find that enforcement has a considerable e ffect, both on competition intensity and on productivity. However, the impact di ffers with the anticompetitive economic conduct. Cartels behave as theoretically predicted with an increase in competition and productivity after the cartel break-up. The impact of vertical conduct is more complex, with positive and negative effi ciency eff ects of antitrust enforcement depending on the exclusivity of the vertical restraint.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.socialpolitik.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luca Aguzzoni & Gregor Langus & Massimo Motta, 2013.
"The Effect of EU Antitrust Investigations and Fines on a Firm's Valuation,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 290-338, 06.
- Langus, Gregor & Motta, Massimo, 2007. "The Effect of EU Antitrust Investigations and Fines on a Firm’s Valuation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6176, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas W. Gilligan, 1986. "The Competitive Effects of Resale Price Maintenance," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(4), pages 544-556, Winter.
- Rachel Griffith & Rupert Harrison & Helen Simpson, 2010. "Product Market Reform and Innovation in the EU," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 112(2), pages 389-415, June.
- Rachel Griffith & Rupert Harrison & Helen Simpson, 2006. "Product market reform and innovation in the EU," IFS Working Papers W06/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Griffith, Rachel & Harrison, Rupert & Simpson, Helen, 2006. "Product Market Reform and Innovation in the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 5849, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Boone, 2008. "Competition: Theoretical Parameterizations and Empirical Measures," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 164(4), pages 587-611, December.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521016919, December.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521816632, December.
- Jonathan B. Baker, 2003. "The Case for Antitrust Enforcement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 27-50, Fall.
- Bittlingmayer, George & Hazlett, Thomas W., 2000. "DOS Kapital: Has antitrust action against Microsoft created value in the computer industry?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 329-359, March.
- Bergman, Mats A. & Jakobsson, Maria & Razo, Carlos, 2005. "An econometric analysis of the European Commission's merger decisions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 717-737, December.
- Bergman, Mats A. & Jakobsson, Maria & Razo, Carlos, 2003. "An Econometric Analysis of the European Commission's Merger Decisions," Working Paper Series 2003:6, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Ohnemus, Jörg, 2009. "Productivity effects of business process outsourcing: a firm-level investigation based on panel data," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-088, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Klein, Gordon J., 2010. "Cartel destabilization and leniency programs: Empirical evidence," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-107, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Brenner, Steffen, 2009. "An empirical study of the European corporate leniency program," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 639-645, November.
- Bosch, Jean-Claude & Eckard, E Woodrow, Jr, 1991. "The Profitability of Price Fixing: Evidence from Stock Market Reaction to Federal Indictments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 309-317, May.
- Tomaso Duso & Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik RÃ¶ller, 2007. "The Political Economy of European Merger Control: Evidence using Stock Market Data," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50, pages 455-489.
- Tomaso Duso & Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2002. "The Political Economy of European Merger Control: Evidence using Stock Market Data," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-34, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Duso, Tomaso & Neven, Damien J & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2003. "The Political Economy of European Merger Control: Evidence Using Stock Market Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3880, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc13:79989. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.