Health biotechnology in China: National, regional, and sectoral dimensions
Biotechnology is one of the knowledge fields particularly targeted by China, as it is considered to open up windows of opportunity for catch-up to the leading economies. However, the seizing of these opportunities requires the existence of an institutional and organizational structure supportive of the introduction and usage of biotechnological knowledge. The present contribution discusses this problem in its national, regional, and sectoral dimensions. By focusing on the biopharmaceutical sector, it is shown that the regulatory environment and the capital market constitute serious bottlenecks to further development.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstrasse 12, 45117 Essen|
Phone: 0201 - 183 3633
Fax: 0201 - 183 2292
Web page: http://www.uni-due.de/in-east/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlsson, Bo & Jacobsson, Staffan & Holmen, Magnus & Rickne, Annika, 2002. "Innovation systems: analytical and methodological issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 233-245, February.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001.
"Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey,"
LIUC Papers in Economics
84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001. "Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000. "Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- White, Steven & Gao, Jian & Zhang, Wei, 2005. "Financing new ventures in China: System antecedents and institutionalization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 894-913, August.
- Conlé, Marcus & Taube, Markus, 2010. "Anatomy of cluster development in China: The case of health biotech clusters," Duisburger Arbeitspapiere Ostasienwissenschaften 84/2010, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of East Asian Studies IN-EAST.
- Mark Granovetter, 2005. "The Impact of Social Structure on Economic Outcomes," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 33-50, Winter.
- Hall, Peter A. & Soskice, David (ed.), 2001. "Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247752.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Bengt-Åke Lundvall, 2007. "National Innovation Systems—Analytical Concept and Development Tool," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 95-119.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Niosi, Jorge & Reid, Susan E., 2007. "Biotechnology and Nanotechnology: Science-based Enabling Technologies as Windows of Opportunity for LDCs?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 426-438, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:udedao:872010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.