Cross-city hedging with weather derivatives using bivariate DCC GARCH models
As monopolies gave their way to competitive wholesale electricity markets, volumetric risk came into play. Electricity supplier can buy weather derivatives to protect from volumetric risk due to unexpected weather conditions. However, contracts can only be negotiated for weather variables measured at few selected locations. To hedge their specific risk, electricity supplier have to correlate their risk with the risk at tradeable locations. In this paper, we concentrate on temperature derivatives. More precisely, we examine if and how bivariate GARCH models with dynamic conditional correlations can help in modelling correlation between two distinct temperature time series. The knowledge of correlation dynamics between the temperature time series enables an electricity supplier to correlate his risk with the risk of a traded city and to construct a sensible hedge. It turns out that the application of bivariate DCC GARCH models to three German temperature time series provides encouraging results.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://www.wisostat.uni-koeln.de/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2005.
"Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations,"
Research Paper Series
168, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005. "Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 577, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2005.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Sébastien Laurent & Luc Bauwens & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 79-109.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sentana, Enrique, 1995.
"Quadratic ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 639-61, October.
- Enric Valor & Hipòlit Torró & Vicente Meneu, 2001. "Single Factor Stochastic Models With Seasonality Applied To Underlying Weather Derivatives Variables," Working Papers. Serie EC 2001-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003.
"Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns,"
Working Paper Series
0204, European Central Bank.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006. "Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
NBER Working Papers
8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Denis Pelletier, 2004.
"Regime Switching for Dynamic Correlations,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
230, Econometric Society.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2006. "The Copula-GARCH model of conditional dependencies: An international stock market application," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 827-853, August.
- Taylor, James W. & Buizza, Roberto, 2006. "Density forecasting for weather derivative pricing," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 29-42.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ucdpse:206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.