Intellectual property rights and the WTO
In the context of the WTO, intellectual property rights (IPR) are codified in the TRIPS-agreement. While covering all the different types of IPR, landmark cases of the still young history of TRIPS have dealt with commercial copyrights. This paper summarizes the basic economics of the IPR branch commercial copyrights, reviews the TRIPS history and analyses two TRIPS landmark cases - China-IPR and US-copyrights - from an economic perspective. Eventually, the paper outlines new challenges for the international governance of IPR in the WTO context emerging from digital media. Against an economic background, the re-emergence of unilateral strategies to enforce cross-border commercial copyrights is met with skepticism against.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0 36 77 / 69 - 40 30
Fax: (0049) (0)3677 69 4200
Web page: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/vw/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Landes, William M & Posner, Richard A, 1989. "An Economic Analysis of Copyright Law," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 325-63, June.
- Mulik Kranti & Crespi John M., 2011. "Geographical Indications and The Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights Agreement (TRIPS): A Case Study of Basmati Rice Exports," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, May.
- Paul Belleflamme & Martin Peitz, 2010.
"Digital Piracy: Theory,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3222, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yoon, Kiho, 2002. "The optimal level of copyright protection," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 327-348, September.
- Mulik, Kranti & Crespi, John M., 2004. "Geographical Indications and the Trade Related Property Rights Agreement: A Case Study of Basmati Rice Exports," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20365, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- Hélène Ilbert & Michel Petit, 2009. "Are Geographical Indications a Valid Property Right? Global Trends and Challenges," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 27(5), pages 503-528, 09.
- Peitz, Martin & Waldfogel, Joel, 2012. "The Oxford Handbook of the Digital Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195397840.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuiedp:71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.