Piracy and competition
"The effects of (private, small-scale) piracy on the pricing behavior of producers of information goods are studied within a unified model of vertical differentiation. Although information goods are assumed to be perfectly differentiated, demands are interdependent because the copying technology exhibits increasing returns to scale. We characterize the Bertrand-Nash equilibria in a duopoly. Comparing equilibrium prices to the prices set by a multiproduct monopolist, we show that competition drives prices up and may lead to price dispersion. Competition reduces total surplus in the short run but provides higher incentives to create in the long run." Copyright 2007, The Author(s) Journal Compilation (c) 2007 Blackwell Publishing.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||In : Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 16(2), 351-383, 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gayer, Amit & Shy, Oz, 2003. "Copyright protection and hardware taxation," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 467-483, December.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Michael D. Smith, 2000.
"Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers,"
INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 563-585, April.
- Michael Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999. "Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1022, Society for Computational Economics.
- SHY, Oz & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"A strategic approach to software protection,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1413, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
- Boccard, N. & Wauthy, Xavier, 1996.
"The Hotelling Model with Capacity Precommitment,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1997030, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Nov 1997.
- Gabszewicz, Jean & Sonnac, Nathalie & Wauthy, Xavier, 2001.
"On price competition with complementary goods,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 431-437, March.
- GABZEWICZ, Jean & SONNAC, Nathalie & WAUTHY, Xavier, . "On price competition with complementary goods," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1505, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean Gabszewicz & Nathalie Sonnac & Xavier Wauthy, 2000. "On Price Competition with Complementary Goods," Working Papers 2000-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Ganesh Iyer & Amit Pazgal, 2003. "Internet Shopping Agents: Virtual Co-Location and Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(1), pages 85-106, November.
- Koboldt, Christian, 1995. "Intellectual Property and Optimal Copyright Protection," CSLE Discussion Paper Series 95-01, Saarland University, CSLE - Center for the Study of Law and Economics.
- Besen, Stanley M & Kirby, Sheila Nataraj, 1989. "Private Copying, Appropriability, and Optimal Copying Royalties," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages 255-80, October.
- Bae, Sang Hoo & Choi, Jay Pil, 2006. "A model of piracy," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 303-320, September.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & PICARD, Pierre M., 2004.
"Competition over piratable goods,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2004055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Stanley M. Besen & Leo J. Raskind, 1991. "An Introduction to the Law and Economics of Intellectual Property," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 3-27, Winter.
- Nicolas Boccard & Xavier Wauthy, 2003.
"Optimal Quotas, Price Competition And Products' Attributes,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(4), pages 395-408.
- BOCCARD, Nicolas & WAUTHY, Xavier, . "Optimal quotas, price competition and products' attributes," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1685, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Landes, William M & Posner, Richard A, 1989. "An Economic Analysis of Copyright Law," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 325-63, June.
- Martin Peitz & Patrick Waelbroeck, 2003. "Piracy of Digital Products: A Critical Review of the Economics Literature," CESifo Working Paper Series 1071, CESifo Group Munich.
- Liebowitz, S J, 1985. "Copying and Indirect Appropriability: Photocopying of Journals," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 945-57, October.
- Johnson, William R, 1985. "The Economics of Copying," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 158-74, February.
- Takeyama, Lisa N, 1994. "The Welfare Implications of Unauthorized Reproduction of Intellectual Property in the Presence of Demand Network Externalities," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 155-66, June.
- Novos, Ian E & Waldman, Michael, 1984. "The Effects of Increased Copyright Protection: An Analytic Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 236-46, April.
- Yoon, Kiho, 2002. "The optimal level of copyright protection," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 327-348, September.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan, 2001. "Information Gatekeepers on the Internet and the Competitiveness of Homogeneous Product Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 454-474, June.
- Oecd, 1998. "Electronic Commerce: Prices and Consumer Issues for Three Products: Books, Compact Discs and Software," OECD Digital Economy Papers 32, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvrp:1919. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.