Shirking or mismatch? Coach-team separation in German professional soccer
Some authors suggest that firing a coach reflects a principal-agent problem between team managers and coaches. Another explanation emphasizes the matching problem between teams and coaches. This paper provides empirical evidence for the latter: Using German soccer league data, we analyze the determinants of coach dismissals in terms of the impact of a team's performance on the probability to be fired. It is shown that the probability for a coach dismissal increases over time.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-78457 Konstanz|
Phone: +49 7531 88 2314
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce D. Meyer, 1988.
"Unemployment Insurance And Unemployment Spells,"
NBER Working Papers
2546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ohkusa, Yasushi & Ohtake, Fumio, 1996. "The relationship between supervisor and workers -- The case of professional baseball in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 475-488, December.
- Jeff Borland & Jenny Lye, 1996. "Matching and Mobility in the Market for Australian Rules Football Coaches," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 143-158, October.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-56, July.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Chapman, Kenneth S & Southwick, Lawrence, Jr, 1991. "Testing the Matching Hypothesis: The Case of Major-League Baseball," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1352-60, December.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1997.
"Moral Hazard and Observability,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1205, David K. Levine.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:kondp1:313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.