Never change a winning team: An analysis of hazard rates in the NBA
We estimate Cox models to determine proportional hazard rates in professional basketball, concerning leaving the league or changing the team by using a database covering all players of the NBA in the 90s. We predict and confirm that league-hazards depend on a players performance. A teamswitch, however, cannot depend on low performance itself because there has to be a team willing to accept the (new) player. Accordingly we find that a good scoring performance and an intense use of a player reduces the probability of a team-switch, whereas high salaries or non-scoring performance do not.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (03834) - 86-2452
Fax: (03834) 86-2451
Web page: http://www.rsf.uni-greifswald.de/meta/english.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ohtake, F. & Ohkusa, Y., 1992. "Testing the Matching Hypothsis: The Case of Professional Baseball in Japan with Comparisons to the US," ISER Discussion Paper 0278, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Jeff Borland & Jenny Lye, 1996. "Matching and mobility in the market for Australian rules football coaches," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 143-158, October.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Hoang, Ha & Rascher, Dan, 1999. "The NBA, Exit Discrimination, and Career Earnings," MPRA Paper 3542, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chapman, Kenneth S & Southwick, Lawrence, Jr, 1991. "Testing the Matching Hypothesis: The Case of Major-League Baseball," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1352-60, December.
- Yasushi Ohkusa, 2001. "An Empirical Examination of the Quit Behavior of Professional Baseball Players in Japan," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(1), pages 80-88, February.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1999. "Personnel Economics: Past Lessons and Future Directions: Presidential Address to the Society of Labor Economists, San Francisco, May 1, 1998," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 199-236, April.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Carlos Garcia-Serrano, 1999. "Job tenure and job mobility in Britain," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 43-70, October.
- Rosen, Sherwin & Sanderson, Allen, 2001.
"Labour Markets in Professional Sports,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(469), pages F47-68, February.
- Idson, Todd L & Kahane, Leo H, 2000.
"Team Effects on Compensation: An Application to Salary Determination in the National Hockey League,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 345-57, April.
- Idson, T. & Kahane, L.H., 1995. "Team Effects on Compensation : An Application to Salary Determinantion in the National Hokey League," Discussion Papers 1995_14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Ohkusa, Yasushi & Ohtake, Fumio, 1996. "The relationship between supervisor and workers -- The case of professional baseball in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 475-488, December.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- J. C. H. Jones & William D. Walsh, 1988. "Salary determination in the National Hockey League: The effects of skills, franchise characteristics, and discrimination," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(4), pages 592-604, July.
- Campbell, Carl M, III, 1993. "Do Firms Pay Efficiency Wages? Evidence with Data at the Firm Level," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(3), pages 442-70, July.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 2000. "The Sports Business as a Labor Market Laboratory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 75-94, Summer.
- Scully, Gerald W, 1974. "Pay and Performance in Major League Baseball," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 915-30, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:grewdp:032002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.