When multinationals leave: A CGE analysis of the impact of divestments
Most studies on Multinational Enterprises (MNEs) focus on the impact of their expansion through inward or outward foreign direct investment (FDI) flows. However, divestments are quite common among the operations of MNEs. In order to derive their effects, we have built a computable general equilibrium (CGE) model that includes two non-standard characteristics: the presence of MNEs, further extended to include unemployment. The model is applied to the Spanish economy, where FDI inflows have surpassed divestments at the aggregate level in the period 2005-2009. However, in ten sectors divestments are sizeable. Therefore, we analyse two different scenarios: 1) Divestments that imply the closure of plants of foreign affiliates; and 2) Divestments in which national firms buy the plant of the foreign affiliate. The model allows estimating the overall impact of the divestments occurring simultaneously in the ten sectors. We further, analyse the contrasting impact of divestments depending on the particular sector in which they take place. Results not only show that national acquisitions are less harmful than closures, but quantify those effects, and provide information on the divested-sector role. In any case, some adjustment costs arise in all scenarios.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Jesper & Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David, 2004.
"The impact of liberalizing barriers to foreign direct investment in services - the case of Russian accession to the World Trade Organization,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3391, The World Bank.
- Jesper Jensen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2007. "The Impact of Liberalizing Barriers to Foreign Direct Investment in Services: The Case of Russian Accession to the World Trade Organization," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 482-506, 08.
- Jean-Fran�ois Hennart, 2009.
"Down with MNE-centric theories! Market entry and expansion as the bundling of MNE and local assets,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(9), pages 1432-1454, December.
- Jean-Fran�ois Hennart, 2009. "Down with MNE-centric theories! Market entry and expansion as the bundling of MNE and local assets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(9), pages 1591-1591, December.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 691-751, September.
- María C. Latorre, 2013. "On the Differential Behaviour of National and Multinational Firms: A Within- and Across-sectors Approach," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(10), pages 1294-1317, October.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992,"
02-02, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & López-Pueyo, Carmen, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 85-103.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, . "Foreing Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 02-02, FEDEA.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, . "Foreign direct investment in a process of economic integration: The case of Spanish manufacturing, 1986-1992," Studies on the Spanish Economy 126, FEDEA.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Checchi, Daniele & Turrini, Alessandro Antonio, 2003.
"Adjusting Labour Demand: Multinational versus National Firms- A Cross-European Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3751, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Daniele Checchi & Alessandro Turrini, 2003. "Adjusting Labor Demand: Multinational Versus National Firms: A Cross-European Analysis," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(2-3), pages 708-719, 04/05.
- Dervis, Kemal & de Melo, Jaime & Robinson, Sherman, 1981. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of Foreign Exchange Shortages in a Developing Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(364), pages 891-906, December.
- Holger G�rg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
University of Manchester, vol. 71(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Andrew B Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2007.
"Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 193-204, May.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2006. "Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths," Working Paper Series WP06-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Andrew Bernard, 2005. "Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths," Working Papers 05-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- María C. Latorre, 2009. "The economic analysis of multinationals and foreign direct investment: a review," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 191(4), pages 97-126, December.
- Ballard, Charles L. & Kang, Kiwon, 2003. "International ramifications of US tax-policy changes," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 825-835, November.
- Latorre, María C. & Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Gómez-Plana, Antonio G., 2009. "The effects of multinationals on host economies: A CGE approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 851-864, September.
- James Markusen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2005. "Trade and direct investment in producer services and the domestic market for expertise," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 758-777, August.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Clemente Polo & Ferran Sancho, 1994.
"An evaluation of the performance of an applied general equilibrium model of the Spanish economy,"
480, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1995. "An Evaluation of the Performance of an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Spanish Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 115-41, June.
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 2008. "Poverty effects of Russia's WTO accession: Modeling "real" households with endogenous productivity effects," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 131-150, May.
- Lakatos, Csilla & Fukui, Tani, 2014. "The Liberalization of Retail Services in India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 327-340.
- Fukui, Tani & Csilla Lakatos, 2012. "A Global Database of Foreign Affiliate Sales," GTAP Research Memoranda 4009, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Howe, Howard, 1975. "Development of the extended linear expenditure system from simple saving assumptions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 305-310, July.
- Jaideep Anand & Laurence Capron & Will Mitchell, 2005. "Using acquisitions to access multinational diversity: thinking beyond the domestic versus cross-border M&A comparison," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 191-224, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:201345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.