Foreign direct investment in a process of economic integration: The case of Spanish manufacturing, 1986-1992
In this paper we analyze the main characteristic features of foreign direct investment (FDI) directed to Spanish manufacturing, both across industries and through time, for the years 1986- 1992. During this period, Spain was one of the most important recipients of FDI inflows in the world, coinciding with the first years of integration into the European Union and the prospects about the completion of the Single European Market by 1992. To this end, a relative FDI measure is related to several industry indicators, as well as to some macroeconomic variables, which allows us to obtain a general characterization of FDI in Spanish manufacturing over that period.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997.
""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience","
97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Causes of Direct Investment: Foreign Firms' Shares in Canadian and United Kingdom Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 279-293, August.
- Martín, Carmela & Velazquez, Francisco J, 1997. "The Determining Factors of Foreign Direct Investment in Spain and the rest of the OECD: Lessons for CEECs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1637, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mann, Catherine L., 1993.
"Determinants of Japanese direct investment in US manufacturing industries,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 523-541, October.
- Catherine L. Mann, 1989. "Determinants of Japanese direct investment in U.S. manufacturing industries," International Finance Discussion Papers 362, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-122, March.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1991. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-1217.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Multinational firms and the new trade theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-203, December.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "Topics in Empirical International Economics: A Festschrift in Honor of Robert E. Lipsey," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blom01-1, April.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995.
"Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 2001.
"Multinational Firms: Reconciling Theory and Evidence,"
in: Topics in Empirical International Economics: A Festschrift in Honor of Robert E. Lipsey, pages 71-98
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1999. "Multinational Firms: Reconciling Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin, 1988.
"Hysteresis In Import Prices: The Beachhead Effect,"
NBER Working Papers
2545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meredith, Lindsay Norman, 1984. "U.S. Multinational Investment in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(1), pages 111-119, February.
- Brainard, S Lael, 1997. "An Empirical Assessment of the Proximity-Concentration Trade-off between Multinational Sales and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 520-544, September.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Caves, Richard E & Williamson, Peter J, 1985. "What Is Product Differentiation, Really?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 113-132, December.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-471, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Scholarly Articles 3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Change, and Economic Growth within Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1770-1786, November.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1992. "Intra-industry Trade and Investment under Oligopoly: The Role of Market Size," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 402-414, March.
- Kevin H. Zhang & James R. Markusen, 1997.
"Vertical Multinationals and Host-Country Characteristics,"
NBER Working Papers
6203, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Kevin Honglin & Markusen, James R., 1999. "Vertical multinationals and host-country characteristics," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 233-252, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaeee:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.