Regional Distribution of Foreign Manufacturing Investment in Spain. Do Agglomeration Economies Matter?
This paper examines the locational determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) in manufacturing activities in the regions of Spain, with particular attention to agglomeration factors, and the effect of these determinants on three separate industries. The analysis reveals that agglomeration economies are significant determinants of the regional distribution of manufacturing FDI, and that the nature and importance of locational determinants vary according to the specific needs of each industry.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992,"
02-02, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & López-Pueyo, Carmen, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 85-103.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, . "Foreing Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 02-02, FEDEA.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, . "Foreign direct investment in a process of economic integration: The case of Spanish manufacturing, 1986-1992," Studies on the Spanish Economy 126, FEDEA.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello, 1995. "Information Costs and Location of FDIs within the Host Country: Empirical Evidence from Italy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 815-841, December.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-49, August.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Nigel Driffield & Max Munday, 2000. "Industrial Performance, Agglomeration, and Foreign Manufacturing Investment in the UK," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(1), pages 21-37, March.
- Head, C. Keith & Ries, John C. & Swenson, Deborah L., 1999. "Attracting foreign manufacturing: Investment promotion and agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1985. "Business Location Decisions in the United States: Estimates of the Effects of Unionization, Taxes, and Other Characteristics of States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 14-22, January.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Joseph Friedman & Hung-Gay Fung & Daniel A. Gerlowski & Jonathan Silberman, 1996. "A Note on "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States."," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 367-68, May.
- Thiran, Jean-Marc & Yamawaki, Hideki, 1995. "Regional and Country Determinants of Locational Decisions : Japanese Multinationals in European Manufacturing," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1995017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Canfei He, 2002. "Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1029-1036.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:128826art133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.