Representation of property rights and credit market outcomes: Evidence from a land reform in Vietnam
This article evaluates the impact of a land certification program on credit market outcomes in rural Vietnam. We hypothesize that the representation of property increases households' participation in formal credit markets. We compare credit market outcomes for certified and non-certified households controlling for socioeconomic and geographic characteristics, and use an instrumental variable approach exploiting a partial delay in program rollout. Certified households are more likely to borrow from formal banks with a collateral-based lending policy. There is no evidence for an effect on borrowing from formal sources without such a policy. Moreover, certified households pay lower interest rates on formal loans than non-certified households on formal and informal loans.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ael.ethz.ch/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Heckman & Lance Lochner & Christopher Taber, 1998.
"General Equilibrium Treatment Effects: A Study of Tuition Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
6426, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J & Lochner, Lance & Taber, Christopher, 1998. "General-Equilibrium Treatment Effects: A Study of Tuition Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 381-86, May.
- James P. Smith & Duncan Thomas, 2004.
"Remembrances of Things Past: Test-Retest Reliability of Retrospective Migration Histories,"
Labor and Demography
- James P. Smith & Duncan Thomas, 2003. "Remembrances of things past: test-retest reliability of retrospective migration histories," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 166(1), pages 23-49.
- Jain, Sanjay, 1999. "Symbiosis vs. crowding-out: the interaction of formal and informal credit markets in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 419-444, August.
- Conning, Jonathan & Udry, Christopher, 2007.
"Rural Financial Markets in Developing Countries,"
Handbook of Agricultural Economics,
- Quy-Toan Do & Lakshmi Iyer, 2008. "Land Titling and Rural Transition in Vietnam," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 531-579.
- Pender, John L. & Kerr, John M., 1999.
"The effects of land sales restrictions: evidence from south India,"
Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 279-294, December.
- Pender, John L. & Kerr, John M., 1999. "The effects of land sales restrictions: evidence from south India," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(3), December.
- Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique, 2006.
"Does rising landlessness signal success or failure for Vietnam's agrarian transition?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3871, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique, 2008. "Does rising landlessness signal success or failure for Vietnam's agrarian transition?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 191-209, October.
- Tomomi Tanaka & Colin F. Camerer & Quang Nguyen, 2010. "Risk and Time Preferences: Linking Experimental and Household Survey Data from Vietnam," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 557-71, March.
- Carter, Michael R. & Olinto, Pedro, 2000.
"Getting Institutions 'Right' for Whom: Credit Constraints and the Impact of Property Rights on the Quantity and Compostiton of Investment,"
Staff Paper Series
433, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Michael R. Carter & Pedro Olinto, 2003. "Getting Institutions “Right” for Whom? Credit Constraints and the Impact of Property Rights on the Quantity and Composition of Investment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 173-186.
- MICHAEL R. CARTER & Pedro Olinto, 2000. "Getting Institutions 'Right' for Whom: Credit Constraints and the Impact of Property Rights on the Quantity and Compostiton of Investment," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 433, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Andersen, Thomas Barnebeck & Malchow-Moller, Nikolaj, 2006. "Strategic interaction in undeveloped credit markets," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 275-298, August.
- Feder, Gershon & Feeny, David, 1991. "Land Tenure and Property Rights: Theory and Implications for Development Policy," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 135-53, January.
- Quy-Toan Do & Lakshmi Iyer, 2003. "Land rights and economic development : evidence from Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3120, The World Bank.
- Máximo Torero & Erica Field, 2005. "Impact of Land Titles over Rural Households," OVE Working Papers 0705, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:gdec11:45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.