Households' saving and debt in Italy
We review savings trends in Italy, summarizing available empirical evidence on Italians' motives to save, relying on macroeconomic indicators as well as on data drawn from the Bank of Italy's Survey of Household Income and Wealth from 1984 to 2004. The macroeconomic data indicate that households' saving has dropped significantly, although Italy continues to rank above most other countries in terms of saving. We then examine with microeconomic data four indicators of household financial conditions: the propensity to save, the proportion of households with negative savings, the proportion of households with debt, and the proportion of households that lack access to formal credit markets. By international comparison, the level of debt of Italian households and default risk are relatively low. But in light of the deep changes undergone by the Italian pension system, the fall in saving is a concern, particularly for individuals who entered the labor market after the 1995 reform and who have experienced the largest decline in pension wealth.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: House of Finance, Grüneburgplatz 1, HPF H5, D-60323 Frankfurt am Main|
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2013. "Pension Wealth Uncertainty," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 80(4), pages 1057-1085, December.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Lucio Picci & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2000. "Saving, Growth, and Investment: A Macroeconomic Analysis Using a Panel of Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 182-211, May.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Agar Brugiavini, 2003. "Social Security and Households' Saving," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(3), pages 1075-1119.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1992.
"Saving, Growth and Liquidity Constraints,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
662, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Tullio Jappelli, 2000.
"Financial Market Imperfections and Home Ownership: A Comparative Study,"
CSEF Working Papers
44, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Dec 2000.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2003. "Financial market imperfections and home ownership: A comparative study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 857-875, October.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2001. "Financial Market Imperfections and Home Ownership: A Comparative Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 2717, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boeri, Tito & Brandolini, Andrea, 2005.
"The Age of Discontent: Italian Households at the Beginning of the Decade,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1530, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tito Boeri & Andrea Brandolini, 2004. "The Age of Discontent: Italian Households at the Beginning of the Decade," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 449-487, December.
- Erich Battistin & Raffaele Miniaci & Guglielmo Weber, 2003.
"What do we learn from recall consumption data?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
466, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Samuel Bentolila & Andrea Ichino, 2008. "Unemployment and consumption near and far away from the Mediterranean," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 21(2), pages 255-280, April.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1992. " Saving and Capital Market Imperfections: The Italian Experience," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(2), pages 197-213.
- Tullio Jappelli & Luigi Pistaferri, 2010.
"Does Consumption Inequality Track Income Inequality in Italy?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(1), pages 133-153, January.
- Tullio Jappelli & Luigi Pistaferri, 2009. "Does Consumption Inequality Track Income Inequality in Italy?," CSEF Working Papers 229, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Tullio Jappelli & Luigi Pistaferri, 2009. "Code and data files for "Does Consumption Inequality Track Income Inequality in Italy?"," Computer Codes 09-225, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Karen E. Dynan & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, 2000.
"Do the Rich Save More?,"
NBER Working Papers
7906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni D’Alessio & Stefano Iezzi, 2013.
"Household over-indebtedness - Definition and measurement with Italian data,"
IFC Bulletins chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the Sixth IFC Conference on "Statistical issues and activities in a changing environment", Basel, 28-29 August 2012., volume 36, pages 496-517
Bank for International Settlements.
- Giovanni D'Alessio & Stefano Iezzi, 2013. "Household over-indebtedness: definition and measurement with Italian data," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 149, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Franco Modigliani, 2005. "The Collected Papers of Franco Modigliani, Volume 6," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 6, number 0262134543.
- Bottazzi, Renata & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2005. "Retirement Expectations, Pension Reforms and Their Effect on Private Wealth Accumulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 4882, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luca Casolaro & Leonardo Gambacorta & Luigi Guiso, 2005. "Regulation, formal and informal enforcement and the development of the household loan market. Lessons from Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 560, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfswop:200730. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.