Silvio Gesell: 'a strange, unduly neglected' monetary theorist
Given the renewed interest in negative interest rates as method for removing the floor to nominal interest rates, this article offers a concise review of Gesell's life, work and its place in the history of economic thought. It provides a brief biographical sketch of Gesell, demonstrating both his relative prominence as a social reformer during the interwar years as well as his close affiliation with anarchism. The article then gives a concise summary of Gesell's theory of effective demand and interest as expounded in the Natural Economic Order, the former being neglected by most scholars working on the subject. Finally, it is demonstrated that Keynes endorsement of Gesell as a strange, unduly neglected prophet is another piece of evidence for rejecting Hick's classic interpretation of the General Theory. If one takes Keynes extensive discussion of Gesell's theory of interest as a key for understanding the General Theory, Keynes main innovation of General Theory becomes a monetary theory of interest based on uncertainty that results in liquidity preference. The limited literature on Keynes' link to Gesell, published mainly in the 1940s, has however been widely ignored in the debate about the General Theory.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 02 51 / 83-2 29 10
Fax: 02 51 / 83-2 83 99
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/cawm/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. Davidson., 2006. "The Post Keynesian School," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Warren Young & William Darity, Jr., 2004. "IS-LM-BP: An Inquest," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 36(5), pages 127-164, Supplemen.
- Garvy, George, 1975. "Keynes and the Economic Activists of Pre-Hitler Germany," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 391-405, April.
- Mitsuhiro Fukao, 2005. "The effects of â€˜Gesellâ€™ (Currency) taxes in promoting Japan's economic recovery," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 173-188, November.
- George Argitis, 2008. "Inflation targeting and Keynes's political economy," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 31(2), pages 249-270, December.
- Willem Buiter, 2009.
"Negative Nominal Interest Rates: Three ways to overcome the zero lower bound,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp636, Financial Markets Group.
- Buiter, Willem H., 2009. "Negative nominal interest rates: Three ways to overcome the zero lower bound," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 213-238, December.
- Buiter, Willem H., 2009. "Negative Nominal Interest Rates: Three ways to overcome the zero lower bound," CEPR Discussion Papers 7346, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2009. "Negative Nominal Interest Rates: Three ways to overcome the zero lower bound," NBER Working Papers 15118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2009. "Negative nominal interest rates: three ways to overcome the zero lower bound," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 29297, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Steven M. Fazzari, 2009. "Keynesian macroeconomics as the rejection of classical axioms," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(1), pages 3-18, September.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Panigirtzoglou, Nikolaos, 1999.
"Liquidity Traps: How to Avoid Them and How to Escape Them,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H Buiter & Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou, 2000. "Liquidity traps: how to avoid them and how to escape them," Bank of England working papers 111, Bank of England.
- Willem H. Buiter & Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou, 1999. "Liquidity Traps: How to Avoid Them and How to Escape Them," NBER Working Papers 7245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
- Guido Giacomo Preparata & John E. Elliott, 2004. "Free-economics: The vision of reformer Silvio Gesell," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(10), pages 923-954, Septembe.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521641739 is not listed on IDEAS
- William Darity, Jr., 1995. "Keynes' Political Philosophy: The Gesell Connection," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 27-41, Winter.
- Jérôme Blanc, 2002. "Silvio Gesell, socialiste proudhonien et réformateur monétaire," Post-Print halshs-00168528, HAL.
- Warren J. Samuels, 2003.
"Why the Georgist Movement Has Not Succeeded:,"
American Journal of Economics and Sociology,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 583-592, 07.
- Tony Yates, 2004.
"Monetary Policy and the Zero Bound to Interest Rates: A Review,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18, pages 427-481, 07.
- Yates, Tony, 2002. "Monetary policy and the zero bound to interest rates: a review," Working Paper Series 0190, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cawmdp:23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.