Structural Determinants of Cumulative Endogeneity Bias
The BLU properties of OLS estimators under known assumptions have encouraged the widespread use of OLS multivariate regression analysis in many empirical studies that are based upon a conceptual model of a single explanatory equation. However, such a model may well be an imperfect empirical approximation to the valid underlying conceptual model, that may well contain several important additional interrelationships between the relevant variables. In this paper, we examine the conditions under which we can predict the direction of the resultant endogeneity bias that will prevail in the OLS asymptotic parameter estimates for any given endogenous or predetermined variable, and the extent to which we can rely upon simple heuristics in this process. We also identify the underlying structural parameters to which the magnitude of the endogeneity bias is sensitive. The importance of such sensitivity analysis has been underlined by an increasing awareness of the inability of standard diagnostic tests to shed light upon the extent of the endogeneity bias, rather than upon merely its existence. The paper examines the implications of the analysis for statistical inferences about the true value of the regression coefficients and the validity of associated t-statistics.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, De-Min, 1973. "Alternative Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Regressors and Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 733-50, July.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Hanushek, Eric A., 2006. "School Resources," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- Alan B. Krueger, 1999.
"Experimental Estimates of Education Production Functions,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 497-532.
- Alan B. Krueger, 1997. "Experimental Estimates of Education Production Functions," NBER Working Papers 6051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nakamura, Alice & Nakamura, Masao, 1985. "On the performance of tests by Wu and by Hausman for detecting the ordinary least squares bias problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 213-227, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:yorken:05/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.