Modelling sustainable human development in a capability perspective
In this paper we model sustainable human development as intended in Sen's capability approach in a system dynamic framework. Our purpose is to verify the variations over time of some achieved functionings, due to structural dynamics and to variations of the institutional setting and instrumental freedoms (IF Vortex). The model is composed of two sections. The 'Left Side' one points out the 'demand' for functionings in an ideal world situation. The real world one, on the 'Right Side' indicates the 'supply' of functionings that the socio-economic system is able to provide individuals with. The general model, specifically tailored for Italy, can be simulated over desired time horizons: for each time period, we carry out a comparison between ideal world and real world functionings. On the basis of their distances, the model simulates some responses of decision makers. These responses, in turn influenced by institutions and instrumental freedoms, ultimately affect the dynamics of real world functionings, i.e. of sustainable human development.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Qizilbash, 2001. "Sustainable Development: Concepts and Rankings," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 134-161.
- repec:mul:je8794:doi:10.1429/1601:y:2002:i:2:p:261 is not listed on IDEAS
- Basil M. H. Sharp, 2001. "Sustainable Development: Environment and Economic Framework Integration," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/27, New Zealand Treasury.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Checchi, Daniele, 2005.
"School quality and family background in Italy,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 563-577, October.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Checchi, Daniele, 2003. "School Quality and Family Background in Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 705, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giorgio Brunello & Daniele Checchi, 2003. "School Quality and Family Background in Italy," Working Papers 2003.10, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Charles Gore, 1997. "Irreducibly social goods and the informational basis of Amartya Sen's capability approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 235-250.
- Adeel Malik, 2002. "State of the Art in Governance Indicators," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2002-07, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sen, Amartya, 1995. "Rationality and Social Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 1-24, March.
- D. North, 1997.
"Institutional Changes: A Framework of Analysis,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 3.
- Grasso Marco, 2002. "Una misurazione del benessere nelle regioni italiane," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 261-292.
- Paolo Buonanno, 2003. "Identifying the Effect of Education on Crime. Evidence from the Italian Regions," Working Papers 65, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2003.
- Marco Grasso, 2002.
"Una misurazione del benessere nelle Regioni italiane,"
41, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2002.
- Marco Grasso, 2004. "Una misurazione del benessere nelle regioni italiane," Public Economics 0406003, EconWPA.
- Jonathon M. Harris, . "00-04 "Basic Principles of Sustainable Development."," GDAE Working Papers 00-04, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 1996. "Capabilities, well-being and human development: A survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-162.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2002. "Dimensions of Human Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 181-205, February.
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Good and bad growth: The human development reports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 631-638, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:0504008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.