Does Competition Kill Ties?
Venture capital firms (VCs) form syndicates that compete to invest in deals. Does more competition makes it less likely that VCs will choose syndicate partners based on past ties? Using over 200,000 observations on how VCs choose each other in 572 biotech deals in Massachussetts from 1967 through 2004, I find the answer is: yes. The theory of embeddedness argues that past ties can explain the pattern of who works with who. I interpret my finding as a first step in demarcating when embeddedness might apply and when atomistic, calculative, economic forces might be a better explanation of who works with who.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bolton, Patrick & Scharfstein, David S, 1996. "Optimal Debt Structure and the Number of Creditors," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Brian Uzzi & Ryon Lancaster, 2003. "Relational Embeddedness and Learning: The Case of Bank Loan Managers and Their Clients," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 383-399, April.
- Granovetter, Mark, 2000. "A Theoretical Agenda for Economic Sociology," Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics, Working Paper Series qt4mk4g08q, Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics of theInstitute for Research on Labor and Employment, UC Berkeley.
- Narayanan, M P, 1985. " Managerial Incentives for Short-term Results," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1469-84, December.
- Steven Kaplan & Antoinette Schoar, 2003. "Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence and Capital," NBER Working Papers 9807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan, 1997.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2004.
"Does Competition Destroy Ethical Behavior?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 414-418, May.
- Baker, Malcolm & Gompers, Paul A, 2003. "The Determinants of Board Structure at the Initial Public Offering," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 569-98, October.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2003.
"A Catering Theory of Dividends,"
NBER Working Papers
9542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Hirschman, Albert O, 1982. "Rival Interpretations of Market Society: Civilizing, Destructive, or Feeble?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 1463-84, December.
- Kachelmeier, Steven J. & Shehata, Mohamed, 1992. "Culture and competition: A laboratory market comparison between China and the West," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 145-168, October.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1999.
"Managerial Incentive Problems: A Dynamic Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
6875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holmstrom, Bengt, 1999. "Managerial Incentive Problems: A Dynamic Perspective," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(1), pages 169-82, January.
- Stein, Jeremy C, 1988.
"Takeover Threats and Managerial Myopia,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 61-80, February.
- Paul Almeida & Bruce Kogut, 1999. "Localization of Knowledge and the Mobility of Engineers in Regional Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 905-917, July.
- Gompers, Paul & Lerner, Josh, 2000. "Money chasing deals? The impact of fund inflows on private equity valuation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 281-325, February.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"A Theory of Debt and Equity: Diversity of Securities and Manager-Shareholder Congruence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1027-54, November.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "A theory of debt and equity: diversity of securities and manager-shareholder congruence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9593, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Gambardella, Alfonso & Saxenian, AnnaLee, 2001. "'Old Economy' Inputs for 'New Economy' Outcomes: Cluster Formation in the New Silicon Valleys," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 835-60, December.
- Fehr, Ernst, et al, 1998. "When Social Norms Overpower Competition: Gift Exchange in Experimental Labor Markets," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 324-51, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpot:0509001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.