Approximating and Simulating the Real Business Cycle: Linear Quadratic Methods, Parameterized Expectations, and Genetic Algorithms
This paper compares three approximation methods for solving and simulating real business cycle models: linear quadratic (including log- linear quadratic) methods, the method of parameterized expectations, and the genetic algorithm. Linear quadratic (LQ), log-linear quadratic (log- LQ) and parameterized expectations (PE) methods are commonly used in numerical approximation and simulation of wide classes of real business cycle models. This papers examines what differences the genetic algorithm (GA) may turn up, as the volatility of the stochastic shocks and the relative risk parameter increase in value. Our results show that the GA either closely matches or outperforms the LQ, loq-LQ and PE for approximating an exact solution. For higher degrees of nonlinearity and stochastic volatility, the GA gives slightly different results than the LQ and PE methods. Our results suggest that the GA should at least compliment these approaches for approximating such models.
|Date of creation:||04 Jun 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Word 7.0; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP; pages: 17 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, John B & Uhlig, Harald, 1990.
"Solving Nonlinear Stochastic Growth Models: A Comparison of Alternative Solution Methods,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 1-17, January.
- John B. Taylor & Harald Uhlig, 1989. "Solving Nonlinear Stochastic Growth Models: A Comparison of Alternative Solution Methods," NBER Working Papers 3117, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wouter J. den Haan & Albert Marcet, 1993.
"Accuracy in simulations,"
Economics Working Papers
42, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Albert Marcet, 1991. "Simulation analysis of dynamic stochastic models: Applications to theory and estimation," Economics Working Papers 6, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988.
"The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model,"
88-05, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," RCER Working Papers 155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1987. "The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model," UCLA Economics Working Papers 496, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-96, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:9706001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.